Correcting audio offset

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
nik15

Correcting audio offset

Post by nik15 »

Recently I got a ProRes-File that I needed to convert to DCP. The problem was that the audio was a few seconds off. Since I am not very experienced I researched a bit without finding a proper recipe and eventually performed the following solution which I do not know if this is the proper way to deal with this.
1. Created the DCP with no adjustments.
2. Edited the entry point of the video in the CPL file with a text editor.
3. Started a new DCP-o-matic project and loaded the manipulated DCP.
4. From the end I then trimmed the same amount that I shiftet so that both audio and video again had the same length.
5. Again created a DCP that now works correctly.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Correcting audio offset

Post by carl »

Sometimes bugs in DCP-o-matic cause audio offset errors, but if this really was just a fault in the original file... another solution would be to use the "delay" control in the audio tab to nudge the audio into the right time.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There is an audio delay/offset in DCP-o-matic, you could have used right away.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-14 um 22.22.30.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-14 um 22.22.30.png (47.99 KiB) Viewed 339 times
nik15

Post by nik15 »

Thank you for the kind replies. Now I see that the very post that inspired me to the CPL-manipulation https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106 actually mentioned this feature but I completely ignored it. Still I am a bit proud of finding my own solution as a complete amateur but I will use the delay tool in the future :) . Another reference that actually covers the CPL editing approach https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1266