DCP looked darker/ could it be subtitles.

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Franoc67

DCP looked darker/ could it be subtitles.

Post by Franoc67 »

Hi there, I am a first-time film director and wanted to ask a question to you experts on DCP subtitles- is there anyway that a distributor in a particular country adding subtitles to my film and also their distributor's logo to the DCP could make the whole print/DCP look darker? Could the process change the grading or luminosity of the film? I was told that the film looked darker in this territory because of the projection but it looked much darker in so many of the screenings I attended I felt there must be another cause. So just questioning if this subtitling process, if not done correctly could make the film look grey or darker. Many thanks!
Carsten

Re: DCP looked darker/ could it be subtitles.

Post by Carsten »

It is possible that, if the subtitles are burned-in instead of using timed text, the video get's recompressed and a different color conversion/gamma is applied. One would have to look into the specific project file/metadata.xml in order to check this.

For timed text, the video is passed through unaltered and should show exactly as the version without subtitles.

Of course, if subtitles are shown, large, extended, and at full brightness, it may also 'appear' as if the video is darker, because the bright subtitles take more attention.
Franoc67

Post by Franoc67 »

Thanks so much for this- is burning in subtitles less expensive a process than timed text? And good point on subtitles brightness. thx so much.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

No, burn-in is just a different way. A commercial service MAY charge more because the video has to be recompressed, thus the creation of the subtitled DCP takes longer than applying timed text. In general, timed text should be preferred, and burn-in only if timed text causes specific issues.
Last edited by Carsten on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franoc67

Post by Franoc67 »

ok brilliant that's really helpful!
Franoc67

Post by Franoc67 »

Hi Carsten, I am just getting into this with the distributor- you mentioned 'One would have to look into the specific project file/metadata.xml in order to check this.'' Can you tell me if there is a test you can run to check this? They are suggesting projecting two versions, play the OV DCP in the same cinema and see if both are dark- but then you are just down to the subjective experience of watching the two different DCPs. What would be the best way to check or what should I request they do to check. Thanks again for this.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Do you have both DCPs still?
Franoc67

Post by Franoc67 »

no but I could arrange any test that I felt needed to be done. They did test to see if the luminosity was the same by looking at the wave form- of each DCP. I have 2 images from this that they sent me.
Franoc67

Post by Franoc67 »

And the subtitles were burnt in not timed text I have been told, btw.

' The lab that prepared the DCP re-wrapped it using EasyDCP, industry standard software. The logo was added directly to the head of original Reel 1, extending the runtime by 15 seconds. Subs were burnt into the picture as occasionally there are TMS mapping issues with legacy setups at some locations with xml based subs ie not turning on. Burning in subs is common practice to avoid this issue.'