Dcp failed ingesting help

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
pleasehelp

Dcp failed ingesting help

Post by pleasehelp »

Hello, I would like to start this by saying that I am just teenager working at the cinema which is also the projection system in my school. I am not a professional and just got selected for some god forsaken reason and I need help.

We have this movie we have to play for tomorrow at 2 at noon and im trying to ingest it. It’s just when gets to the remaining 24.61 GB it fails to do so. I’ve been here for hours trying to figure it out.

I have a barco communicator panel and I am not sure of the projector I have. PLEASE, I need your help. I am slowly losing my mind and soul before this slight problem in my current life.
Attachments
456CD49A-5220-45F1-9DF1-ED914D4C4AC9.jpeg
456CD49A-5220-45F1-9DF1-ED914D4C4AC9.jpeg (4.95 MiB) Viewed 604 times
22476A61-A88C-4504-917E-6E1047462799.jpeg
22476A61-A88C-4504-917E-6E1047462799.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 604 times
carl
Site Admin

Re: Dcp failed ingesting help

Post by carl »

Hopefully someone who knows Barcos will be along soon but I'd say one possible reason is some problem with the USB drive you are ingesting from. Did you make the DCP and copy onto the USB drive?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The Barco ICMP is not very explicit in error reporting on the GUI. It may indeed be a physical problem with the disc, or the DCP itself is corrupted (file data corruption).

Is this a disc that has been supplied by a distributor, or did someone copy the DCP to it locally from another source? Drives sourced directly from distributors are usually error-checked before they are shipped.

You could try to restart the ICMP and try another ingest. Maybe the ICMP will just collect the remaining data if it was a spurious problem with the disc. If the DCP on that drive is actually corrupted, there is no other help than to source a new copy.

The Barco has a more detailed error reporting in his log. You may be able to find out wether it reports a data error with the DCP or a connection issue. You can access the log from the GUI (under 'Status') - but it is a huge flow of messages and it is probably too much asked from a beginner to find the relevant messages in it.

You should also go to the BARCO commander dashboard (first top menu on the left, also default page after login) to check wether there is enough free space on the Barco internal disc system.

BTW - the type of projector in this case is irrelevant, the part that is relevant is the internal server, a Barco ICMP.

Don't let this depress you. You are not expected (or educated) to deal with abnormal operating conditions. If you checked free space on the ICMP internal disc system, and tried another ingest after a restart of the whole system, no one can blame you for this problem.

- Carsten
pleasehelp

Post by pleasehelp »

Thank you Carl and Carsten for issuing your thoughts on the matter and thank to whoever also chooses to reply. I tried to play it directly off the dcp and alas it did not work. I was still forced to screen it and the movie kept on freezing.

Everyone got their refunds and I apologized profusely. I definitely think it is a problem with the dcp itself. Though, it was the distributor who sent us the dcp. They sent it quite late and I assume the guy got rushed. My principal and boss were not happy but I’ve learned a few things if this ever happens again, It’s just a shame I didn’t have the time to fully solve this issue.

On a more hormonally charged melodramatic note, I feel terrible and want to curl up in a ball and until I am 20% water.

I thank you guys again and if there’s any other issue, I’ll try to post it here.

Thank you.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You're welcome, as Carsten says, this kind of problem is often not fixable in a short time frame, as it appears you were given - so I think you shouldn't feel bad!

In my humble opinion the trick with this sort of situation is to try (if you can) to not get into it in the first place! :) i.e. with some more experience you will be able to see when a hard drive is getting late (and therefore cannot be replaced if it's faulty) and try to explain to people that a potential unfixable problem is brewing!