Convert existing INTEROP DCP to SMPTE?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
serpico009

Convert existing INTEROP DCP to SMPTE?

Post by serpico009 »

Is it possible to simply import an existing INTEROP DCP and export it as SMPTE? If so, is it that simple, or is there more involved in terms of settings?

Backstory is I'm in charge of deliverables for a film my company distributes. The filmmakers provided us with an INTEROP DCP. The film was just accepted to a festival that specifies/requires SMPTE DCPs.
Carsten

Re: Convert existing INTEROP DCP to SMPTE?

Post by Carsten »

Just as you say - import, create SMPTE DCP. When you set to SMPTE, you have to create a few more settings for metadata, but DCP-o-matic will give a few hints towards that when you create the DCP. Nothing too complicated.
serpico009

Post by serpico009 »

Thanks Carsten!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Right-clicking the DCP in the content list and clicking "Set project settings from this DCP" (before changing the project to SMPTE) can help get everything in the right place.
serpico009

Post by serpico009 »

That Right-click tip was a good one, thanks.

I'm running into one problem, and it involves the subtitles.

I was able to successfully re-wrap to SMPTE, but the subtitles from the INTEROP version aren't on board.

Before using the right-click tip, I was getting a message in the Subtitles tab that was something to the effect of "Cannot read subtitles because the source is INTEROP and project is set to SMPTE.

That went away when I used the right-click tip, but when I click View on the Subtitles tab the whole program freezes.

Setting "Use as" to open captions results in really choppy playback, and the subtitles are not displayed over the video image. Picking "show subtitle area" at this point also froze the program.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You should probably just import the Interop subtitles separately, as if you would create a subtitled version. DCP-o-matic would read AND convert them into SMPTE/MXF subtitles, instead of failing to integrate them into a SMPTE project. One could call this a bug or mistake, or not.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Before using the right-click tip, I was getting a message in the Subtitles tab that was something to the effect of "Cannot read subtitles because the source is INTEROP and project is set to SMPTE.
I think that message is saying that you can't refer to the subtitles, i.e. you can't use them as part of an OV because the standards are not the same.
That went away when I used the right-click tip, but when I click View on the Subtitles tab the whole program freezes.
That's bad news... is it feasible for me to get hold of the original Interop DCP?
Setting "Use as" to open captions results in really choppy playback, and the subtitles are not displayed over the video image. Picking "show subtitle area" at this point also froze the program.
Did you choose "open subtitles" or "closed captions" here?
DCP-o-matic would read AND convert them into SMPTE/MXF subtitles, instead of failing to integrate them into a SMPTE project. One could call this a bug or mistake, or not.
DCP-o-matic's general approach is to take whatever source content you give, in whatever format, and try to convert if (if necessary) to the output format you ask for. So I think this behaviour is at least consistent. Do you think in this case it should say "I can't do that because your input subtitles are Interop and the output is SMPTE"?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess, yes. As an advanced user, I love transparent/automatic conversion in DCP-o-matic, but, I understand that many users would prefer to see a hint.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

So a hint that the Interop subs are being converted to SMPTE? I guess to me it seems a little arbitrary, as we presumably wouldn't similarly hint that (for example) .srt subs are being converted.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Not sure, I guess I need to try this specific conversion and see the responses. I would assume that straight Interop->SMPTE conversion is needed relatively often currently.