Subtitle positioning: help required!

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Kewl

Re: Subtitle positioning: help required!

Post by Kewl »

If PNG is an OK file format for these tests, here's a PNG of the grid.
EMPTYGRID_2KFLAT.png
EMPTYGRID_2KFLAT.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks!
lg.richard

Post by lg.richard »

Carl, I'm creating dcps from two different machines: the first one has an old old version of DOM and subtitles are working fine, but the new one (DOM downloaded in february 12) has really high subtitles watching it on DOM player, in DOM (by loading dcp) and in the theater screen. I cant take pictures from the screen but im creating VFs by offsetting the Y by 10% i guess i could go to 15% but thought it was safer in 10%
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

For what it's worth, I can second that. After major changes were made on positioning the subtitles, for more fidelity to other subtitles, I am usually lowering in the Y axis 3 notches.
YET, I made a VF just yesterday where I used Interop subtitles, not .srt, and I didn't do/fix anything (but add the outline I usually add).
The interop .xml I made out of the .srt (SubtitleEdit), because I was getting an error on the format of the time (a zero missing or something of the kind).
That was 2.16.33 though, and the very next version has a fix on vertical position on interop subtitles...
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Carl, I'm creating dcps from two different machines: the first one has an old old version of DOM and subtitles are working fine, but the new one (DOM downloaded in february 12) has really high subtitles watching it on DOM player, in DOM (by loading dcp) and in the theater screen
Can you tell me the exact versions of DCP-o-matic you are using here?
lg.richard

Post by lg.richard »

2.16.42 (high subs)
2.14.54 (subs ok)

I cant test 2.16.44 now, but the main difference between the versions above is that in 14.54 i had no need to care about positioning the subtitles, the default was positioned "standard" way. In 16.42 I do need to change the Y axes position
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks - I know there are problems with the "release" versions of DCP-o-matic: this thread was about testing some test builds.

However, I merged the changes into the main "branch" of DCP-o-matic so hopefully things will be fixed in the forthcoming 2.16.45. If you would like to test either the special builds linked above, or 2.16.45 when it is released, that would be great.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The subtitle changes are now available in 2.16.46. Any testing/reports are very welcome.
barber

Post by barber »

Hi,
I don't know if it was supposed to be fixed in 2.16.46 but the slight shift in DOM preview/burning-in is still here in 2.16.47. I didn't notice any other problem using SMPTE or IOP .xml files as input. Horizontal alignment in SDH (subtitles for the deaf or hard-of-hearing) seems accurate too.

I agree that the default formatting of srt file is quite big and high. For replicating my standard formatting (Arial 42pt, 7% height from bottom) I set the scale to 86% and the Y shift to -9%.

Best,
Dan
barber

Post by barber »

Hi,
It seems there is another little rendering shift when a line with a high letter (like "f") is under a line with a low letter (like "j") - in this case the line spacing is greater than expected.
domsub.JPG
domsub.JPG (203.32 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
The shift is visible on the preview and on the burnt-in subtitles. I used DCP-o-matic 2.16.47 on Windows 10 22H2.
You'll find attached the xml subtitle, the Arial font and the grid with the original subtitle created by easyDCP.

Best,
Dan
Attachments
TestSub2.zip
(157.83 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
GRIDWITHSUB2_2KFLAT.jpg
GRIDWITHSUB2_2KFLAT.jpg (542.72 KiB) Viewed 1401 times