Playback Freezing, Renders a Blank Screen

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
am14k

Playback Freezing, Renders a Blank Screen

Post by am14k »

Hello,

I am working on a DCP for someone else to send to a festival. They have sent a 29.44 GB .mov at 3840x1555, aspect ratio 2.47.1.

It plays back perfectly fine through QuickTime on our computer, but if I try to check the playback in DCP-o-matic (preview window) it freezes around 20 frames and the whole program becomes unresponsive. I ran a DCP last night without testing the playback and it froze 20 frames in while encoding, but I left it for a while and when I checked on it again it said it had finished and only ran for about 7 minutes. The short time had me concerned- usually even a 2 minute clip can take 30 minutes to render on our system.
I ingested the "completed" file into our system and it recognizes the length of the feature, but when playing it back on the projector there is no sound and no picture.

I have tried using 2.14.59 and 2.16.47 but both freeze around 20 frames in playback. I am working to download the file again to see if something happened there, but since it plays back on the computer just fine I am worried that downloading again will not solve the problem.

Any feedback or advice is greatly welcomed- this community was a wonderful help to myself and my team last year (none of us, sadly, are extremely well-versed in DCP creation and are learning as we go.)
Thank you in advance!
carl
Site Admin

Re: Playback Freezing, Renders a Blank Screen

Post by carl »

If you can send the log file from inside your project folder to carl@dcpomatic.com that might give some clues.
am14k

Post by am14k »

Sure thing, I have emailed those over.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks. I think on your second run (that you sent the logs for) DCP-o-matic is re-using the video data it calculated the first time round, so the error you saw originally is not showing up in the new logs. Can you try again after deleting the "video" subdirectory in the project folder? (or in a completely new project?) It should only be necessary to run it for a few minutes. Then if you could send the log again it should hopefully be more informative.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Maybe something weird in the master file. Since already preview crashes. However, 4k needs a fast system. What type of computer is this?
am14k

Post by am14k »

carl wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:02 pm Thanks. I think on your second run (that you sent the logs for) DCP-o-matic is re-using the video data it calculated the first time round, so the error you saw originally is not showing up in the new logs. Can you try again after deleting the "video" subdirectory in the project folder? (or in a completely new project?) It should only be necessary to run it for a few minutes. Then if you could send the log again it should hopefully be more informative.
Thank you for taking a look at those and I'm so sorry I have not updated you before now. Luckily the problem was resolved and it did not have to do with re-using the data to my knowledge,
Carsten wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:15 am Maybe something weird in the master file. Since already preview crashes. However, 4k needs a fast system. What type of computer is this?
It did end up being the master file; I was unaware that it was not fully downloading until the owner sent me a screenshot of details on his end including file size.

I know it's extremely far from ideal, but we run these on a MacBook Air (thus why it takes a very long time for projects to complete). I am pushing for a better system to work with.