Seting language for subtitle - seems to play but Tack Unknown()

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
funkytwig

Seting language for subtitle - seems to play but Tack Unknown()

Post by funkytwig »

Added a DCP and a SRT file to make a DCP with subtitles. When I selected Make DCP I got the following error.

"At least one piece of subtitle or closed caption content has no specified language. It is advisable to set the language for each piece of subtitle or closed caption content in the "Content→Timed text", "Content→Open subtitles" or "Content→Closed captions" tab."

I do not have "Content→Open subtitles" or "Content→Closed captions" tab and "Content→Timed text" does not have anyware to set language.

The DCP works when I load the VF and add the OV and I can see the subtitles in the Closed Caption window but the track says Unknown(). Are the two related and is this going to cause the cinema a problem?

Looking at section 6.6 of the manual the Timed Text tab has a place to specify language but this is not in the version I have

Not sure where I am going wrong.
Carsten

Re: Seting language for subtitle - seems to play but Tack Unknown()

Post by Carsten »

You need to decide first wether you want to create a subtitled version (open captions) or closed captions. Closed captions are to be shown on personal devices like glasses, smartphones, or seat displays. The DCP-VF will probably play on most servers, but you should still specify the proper language of your subtitles according to https://registry-page.isdcf.com/languages/ otherwise some servers or QC tools may complain. SMPTE DCPs have a few more requirements about proper metadata usage, unfortunately, DCP-o-matic can not fill-in all metadata fields by itself. Language codes need to be input in different dialogues.
funkytwig

Post by funkytwig »

It is Closed captions I want. How do I "specify the proper language of your subtitles" As I mentioned in the manual it says it should be on the Content→Timed text tab but it is not there. It is shown in a screenshot in the manual but not in the actual interface.

The manual also mentions a "Content→Closed captions tab but I have not even got this tab. When I click on the .srt file in the Content window I only get Timed Text and timings tab.

Just to clarify the hint I am getting is
"At least one piece of subtitle or closed caption content has no specified language. It is advisable to set the language for each piece of subtitle or closed caption content in the "Content→Timed text", "Content→Open subtitles" or "Content→Closed captions" tab."

Sorry if ime missing something.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It is Closed captions I want. How do I "specify the proper language of your subtitles" As I mentioned in the manual it says it should be on the Content→Timed text tab but it is not there. It is shown in a screenshot in the manual but not in the actual interface.
You don't see a "Language" label in the "Timed Text" tab?

You will only get the "Closed captions" tab with content that definitely has a closed caption. SRT could be either, so the tab is labelled "Timed Text".
funkytwig

Post by funkytwig »

No, see the picture above. I think I may not be understanding what closed captions and subtitles are (sorry this has ended up in 2 threads).

What I am trying to do is have 2 packages. One OV with just the picture and one VF where the projectionist can add subtitles (I get the feeling this is not closed captions). Am I supposed to burn in the subtitles on the VF to do this? Does this superimpose the burnt in subtitles from the VF on top of the OV?

The use case is the place projecting the film wants to do some screenings without and some with subtitles.

Just read https://www.rev.com/blog/resources/movi ... captioning, think I understand better now. So it is subtitles, bot closed captions I want.

Just found open subtitles. Think this is what I want. Sorry for being dense.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

No problem, glad you got it all straightened out. Let me know if you have ideas on how to clarify the manual, especially this page which is the current attempt to explain it.