Multi CPL dcp

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Margus Voll

Multi CPL dcp

Post by Margus Voll »

Hi.

I wonder if we could do such version where i have main image and sumplemental subtitles like in reels or similar but juts use master image and sound.
Distributor is asking such version and i have seen one example where subtitles are separate CPLs.

Please advise.
Carsten

Re: Multi CPL dcp

Post by Carsten »

DCP-o-matic 'Combiner' will merge multiple CPLs into one package.
Margus Voll

Post by Margus Voll »

Do you have to make them separately and merge or maybe you can point me to it in the manual?

Also does this work when i make crypted dcp?

From the UI i assume i will make separate OV versions like master version and subtitle OV versions and then just combine?

As far as i can imagine i make new project for every CPL (language) and only thing i insert is SRT subtitle,
make DCP and later on combine those to main DCP OV?

This is what client showed me how it looks with other such versions they have (screenshot in the link):

https://prnt.sc/llGl27sAdiPa
jdent02

Post by jdent02 »

The combiner isn't in the manual.

It's a separate program that's included with the install. You enter a bunch of existing packages and it'll combine all the media files and CPLs into a new, single package with a single PKL and Asset Map.
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

@Margus Voll: It's better to create an OV without subtitles and several VFs with subtitles and then combine all these DCPs into one package. This can save you a lot of disc space. If you create an OV for each subtitle you will get several full size DCPs that will take very much space.

@Carl: It would be great if you could add an option to reuse an asset (thus keeping its UUID and maybe filename) or manually assign UUID to an asset that isn't changed when creating a DCP, so we could create several OVs with common assets inside one package. Hope you understand what I mean :)
Margus Voll

Post by Margus Voll »

Perfect thanks!

How about encryption, in what stage you would do it before combining or after?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Before. Encryption is strictly on CPL basis. You need to issue KDMs for every encrypted CPL in the package. Combiner is encryption agnostic.

- Carsten
Margus Voll

Post by Margus Voll »

Perfect!

Thank You.