One additional character added to Film Name in the ISDCF format

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cintoli

One additional character added to Film Name in the ISDCF format

Post by cintoli »

I usually take the utmost care in creating DCPs that comply with the ISDCF Naming Convention.

Something odd happened when creating a DCP with the following Film Title: Il Vento Soffia Dove Vuole (Italian).

When creating the project, knowing that the Film Name in the DCP identification string must not be longer than 14 characters and not wanting to have the word "Dove" clipped, I used 13 characters for the title, i.e. IlVentoSoffia.

When finalizing the DCP, the resulting string has one additional character in the Film Title portion, like this: IlVentoSoffiaF

It is not a big problem but yet, I wonder why the additional character was added; I don't think I added it inadvertently, and if I did, it should have been D and not F.

And I don't think it is compulsory to make the film title exactly 14 characters long, it can be shorter.

Here is the complete DCP identification string:

IlVentoSoffiaF_FTR-1-Pre-25_F_IT-en_001_UNRATED_51_2K_20230605_CNT_SMPTE_OV

Thanks for any heads up.

Alessandro
carl
Site Admin

Re: One additional character added to Film Name in the ISDCF format

Post by carl »

What DCP-o-matic version is this? Can you attach the metadata.xml from your project, or email it to carl@dcpomatic.com?
cintoli

Post by cintoli »

The version is the latest, 2.16.58.

I will e-mail you the metadata file shortly. Thanks.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for sending the file. The project's name is IlVentoSoffiaF_FTR-1-Pre-25_F_IT-en_001-UNRATED_51_2K_20230605_CNT_SMPTE_OV - so I think to get the behaviour you expect you would need to rename to just "IlVentoSoffia" and then tick "Use ISDCF name" so that DCP-o-matic auto-generates the rest. If "use ISDCF name" is unticked you can set the name to whatever you like and DCP-o-matic won't stop you, as far as I remember.
cintoli

Post by cintoli »

Thank you, Carl.

I think I did what you suggested in your reply. Actually, the original name of the project (which is the name of the folder that contains all the items) IS IlVentoSoffia.

Therefore, I really cannot figure out why the F was added to the name when I started the DCP rendering job (I realized there was this problem only well into the rendering).

Unfortunately, now that I am rendering the DCP, I think I cannot make any name changes but it is definitely not an issue. The rendering will take a few hours to be completed.

I will give myself the benefit of doubt (perhaps I typed the additional character myself?) and try to be careful that the next project is identified correctly. Unless you have other suggestions, of course.

I am sorry for not having provided these additional details earlier.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I would assume that you typed the 'F' yourself while adding the 'FTR' part.

If you're mad about this - when the rendering is finished, just stay within DCP-o-matic, remove the 'F' from the name, and start another rendering process. It will NOT recreate the J2K, thus go much faster. It will ask you wether you want to overwrite the existing DCP - which is fine. It will still reuse the existing J2K video files. Just don't change anything in the project except the name.

Of course, you could also use DCP-o-matic Editor to change annotation text and CPL content name of your existing DCP. That may still have some flaws - recreating the DCP in DCP-o-matic from the existing assets is the cleaner solution currently.
cintoli

Post by cintoli »

Thank you Carsten!

I guess you must be right, though I am still puzzled because this is not my fist DCP project and I generally do not make typos, especially because I use the "use ISDCF name" procedure.

I will follow your suggestion for deleting the F because it is my professional duty to deliver error-free items.

This particular DCP is pre-release, it will probably be replaced by a new version when the movie is rated and the projectionist only needs to know the first few words of the original title, so the issue is very minor in the context of things, but still, I try to be as precise as I possibly can :-).
cintoli

Post by cintoli »

Hi Carsten, your suggestion worked but now I have another, worse problem I will talk about in another thread. First time it ever happened using DCP-o-Matic.