Newbie Question

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Crewchief408

Newbie Question

Post by Crewchief408 »

Hello Community,

I've taken over the job of creating DCP Pre-shows for a historic theatre on the Oregon Coast, US. I create the Pre-shows with ad stills ranging from theatre info to sponsor recognition, and upcoming movie trailer videos.

I'm at the mercy of the internet for the video trailer content, some of the trailer's audio levels are louder than others, and even hard to hear compared to others being played in the show.

Is there a way to make all the video content in the DCP play at the same volume level?

Thank you, I appreciate the help!
Chris
https://www.egyptiantheatre.events/
Carsten

Re: Newbie Question

Post by Carsten »

Not automatically, unfortunately, but with some minimal manual intervention. Let DCP-o-matic do a full audio analysis, and adjust overall gain to get similar LUFS or LEQ numbers. It will not be perfect, but it's easy enough to do.

- Carsten
funkytwig

Post by funkytwig »

You could try importing each trailer into the content tab and changing the gain. Select each and click on 'Show audio graph' in the Audio tab. It will give you a peak level right of the button you just pressed. If it is bad the number will be red. If it's so os it will be orange and if good it will be just black. Start at 0 and add until it goes black. tweek using .5 increments, or even .25. I would personally get it to black.

I think this will work, give it a go.

This may work but it's peak levels. You can look at the graph and see what it looks like. You should then play the DCP in the player and have a listen and possibly tweek.

If you deliver each trailer as its own DCP the projectionist may tweak the levels for each (I did when I was at a small independent but you need to check with the projectionists you are sending the DCPs to). So it may not be an issue. Can you talk to the person you took over from?
jdent02

Post by jdent02 »

I bring everything into Davinci Resolve and level each video out so it plays at 82Leq(m). There's still some inconsistency in dialog from one video to the next, but there are no huge volume spikes.
Crewchief408

Post by Crewchief408 »

Thank you all very much, I appreciate the help!