Sample rate drop-down menu disappears / not shown

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
secretsauce99

Sample rate drop-down menu disappears / not shown

Post by secretsauce99 »

Hey, I'm working with a cinema where I host album listening events in the dark (it's called Pitchblack Playback, check it out!). I supply them with albums as single-track stereo WAV files, with a bit depth and sample rate depending on what the highest available for the album is.

The Talk Talk album we're doing next is available as 24-bit, 96khz so I sent that and asked them to choose 96khz in the DCP->Audio tab Sample Rate settings. However, they don't have a Sample Rate section in their view. I've attached my view (red circles) and theirs. They updated to the latest version of DCP-o-matic. Same problem. What's going on??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Sample rate drop-down menu disappears / not shown

Post by carl »

The sample rate option is hidden by default as (so far as I am aware) 96kHz DCPs are rare, and may not play back properly. If you do make a 96kHz DCP I would check it out carefully in the cinema before the show!

To enable the option, go into the "non-standard" tab of preferences and tick "Allow creation of DCPs with 96kHz audio"
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

In most cases, choosing 96KHz is useless, because most servers or audio processors will perform downsampling to 48KHz anyway in order to keep a safe/konsistent processing chain. If you are in close contact to the operators of a specific screen, you may check beforehand wether a 96KHz DCP will work. Even if it works without issues, it's not said that server and audio processor will definitely feed through 96KHz (it's a config option in every server and cinema audio processor I know). Also, how much sense does 96KHz make in a standard cinema when the HF needs to pass through a PVC sheet with tiny holes in it? 24Bits, and uncompressed, is certainly more important in a cinema environment. If the album deserves it dynamic-wise.
secretsauce99

Post by secretsauce99 »

thanks both