Is SMPTE standard DCP going to play in a cinema that request IOP?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
RookieFilmTech

Is SMPTE standard DCP going to play in a cinema that request IOP?

Post by RookieFilmTech »

Hello - first time poster/DCP maker here...

I've read a bit about IOP and SMPTE - but still I'm stumped by one simple question... The cinema gave me their spec sheet and one of the line says "MXF format must be set to Interop". Does that mean I should output it as IOP? (The hint windows suggests SMPTE when I go to make the DCP.)

Thank you, Daniel
Carsten

Re: Is SMPTE standard DCP going to play in a cinema that request IOP?

Post by Carsten »

Both IOP and SMPTE will be fine. If the cinema spec isn't clear, it is no problem to create Interop with DCP-o-matic - it remains the most compatible format, and is also a bit easier to do in DCP-o-matic. All cinemas today should be able to play generic SMPTE DCP though (24fps), as all mainstream movies now in circulation are SMPTE.
RookieFilmTech

Post by RookieFilmTech »

Thank you Carsten.

I feel like it's fine - their DCP servers and projectors in the auditorium we will be using don't seem that old - but I wasn't sure whether to tempt fate... and then have to fix everything...

(To convert from SMPTE to IOP - is it just a matter of re-wrapping it or do I have to re-encode the video/audio file too?)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Rewrapping works. You just need to make sure the generic settings of input and output DCP are the same - container, resolution,etc.
You can right-click on the source DCP and DCP-o-matic will offer an option to set this all automatically - just that afterwards, you have to flip it to IOP again.
RookieFilmTech

Post by RookieFilmTech »

Thank you!
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

With Interop, there is always the framerate element that needs attention.
There might be different reasons that a cinema requests IOP.
For instance, I came across a Doremi IMS1000 with external storage that won't unpack SMPTE subtitles, if the DCP resides on the external storage and is encrypted. There is no development on that server, so this is not going to be fixed. Ever!
On the other hand, I came across a film festival that -with no explanation- would only accept DCPs with burned-in subtitles.
Another, that would not allow playing from an external source and would ask for DCPs-only during a non-cinematic festival.

Instead of asking on a forum for a generic answer, ask the specific question on the cinema where the DCP is to be screened. If you feel that they just don't know what they are talking about and they make more fuss than necessary, do your thing. Otherwise, be as good a sport as the exhibitors want to be themselves.