Cropping issues

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Ross Meyer

Cropping issues

Post by Ross Meyer »

I'm working with a file from a filmmaker which has an excessive amount of black pixels on all sides of a flat image. I can take care of a portion of the black space by cropping in up to 22 pixels on the top and bottom but further cropping doesn't seem to help as it takes lines off the image but does not scale the image to fill the container. Am I misremembering that DOM used to be able to handle this problem?

Uncropped:
Upcropped.jpg
Cropped 22 pixels on top and bottom:
Cropped 22 pixels.jpg
Cropped 75 pixels on top and bottom:
Cropped 75 pixels.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Cropping issues

Post by carl »

Is there also black padding on the sides? Does it help to crop that off?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Please show us another screenshot with the 'outline content' option checked under preview.

If the active pixel area of your source does not fit the available/allowed DCP containers/screen format or aspect ratio, there is no other way than to either lose some pixels, or have some remaining black bars on top/bottom or sides.

When I grab the source image from your screenshots, it looks like a plain 16:9/1.77 source within the active pixel area. That should go into a flat container, and you will have lean black bars on the left and right. That's the proper way to bring 16:9 into flat. To accomplish that, you set a flat container, and crop from top and bottom until the image top and bottom hit your top and bottom preview frame.
Ross Meyer

Post by Ross Meyer »

Hey folks,

It seems that after a restart, I was able to crop as normally. Strange behavior but not impossible given windows 11.