Sync Issues from 23.976 FPS Pro Res

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
YazTB

Sync Issues from 23.976 FPS Pro Res

Post by YazTB »

Hi,

I'm new to DCP-O-Matic. It's an amazing program, super intuitive and feels like the lifesaver to the low budget indie filmmaker for a festival run!

I'm am however having a huge sync issue when creating a DCP from a 23.976 Pro Res file. The playback in DCP-o-matic isn't in sync when I click through the file. I have tried importing several different files and the playback sync is always off.

I went ahead and set the markers and created the DCP. I selected 24 fps under DCP and the audio seems to be ahead of the video. Did I miss something? All help greatly appreciated.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Sync Issues from 23.976 FPS Pro Res

Post by carl »

Hello,

That is strange. As a first step, can you attach the "metadata.xml" and "ffprobe.log" files from inside your DCP-o-matic project directory. Then we can look at the settings you have used, and what DCP-o-matic found out about your video file. You can also send them to carl@dcpomatic.com if you'd rather.

Does the sync stay wrong by the same amount, or does it get worse as the film goes on?
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Carl will definitely give you more info on the matter.
Yet, keep in mind that the problem may lie on the computer's ability to play the video out.
Different resolution, audio configuration, bandwidth, file source of the ProRes may play their part.
YazTB

Post by YazTB »

Hey Carl & IoannisSyrogiannis thank you both for replying so quickly.

Carl I'm attaching both the Metadata and the ffprobe but I'm thinking that IoannisSyrogiannis might be onto something. When I opened the DCP in the DCP-o-matic 2 player this morning the sync was perfect. So I'm wondering if the issue had something to do with my processor. I had spent the day conducting one export after another and I think that she system was overwhelmed. I didn't see an issue in the activity monitor but if I'm being honest I'm not exactly the most knowledgable when it comes to tech specs.

Would you mind checking out the metadata and the ffprobe anyway and letting me know If you see anything strange. I'm going to shut down and recheck the file in a few hours just in case.

Many, MANY thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The settings all look good in the files you sent. Let us know if see more problems!
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

YazTB wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:06 am Hi,

I'm new to DCP-O-Matic. It's an amazing program, super intuitive and feels like the lifesaver to the low budget indie filmmaker for a festival run!

I'm am however having a huge sync issue when creating a DCP from a 23.976 Pro Res file. The playback in DCP-o-matic isn't in sync when I click through the file. I have tried importing several different files and the playback sync is always off.

I went ahead and set the markers and created the DCP. I selected 24 fps under DCP and the audio seems to be ahead of the video. Did I miss something? All help greatly appreciated.
23.976 Pro Res You need to increase the rate to 24 and the movie will end 100.1% faster. Then you also need to speed up the audio 100.1%, keeping the pitch tone the same.
You need to render again before DCP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

23.976 Pro Res You need to increase the rate to 24 and the movie will end 100.1% faster. Then you also need to speed up the audio 100.1%, keeping the pitch tone the same.
If you are happy with the pitch being raised (slightly) you do not need to render again before bringing into DCP-o-matic, as it will take care of this for you.
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

carl wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:51 am
If you are happy with the pitch being raised (slightly) you do not need to render again before bringing into DCP-o-matic, as it will take care of this for you.
sync sound ?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DCP-o-matic adjusts everything automatically. You will be notified about this in the bottom of video and audio tab:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-06 um 15.54.19.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-06 um 15.54.31.png
YazTB

Post by YazTB »

Carl, you are awesome! Thank you so much for your help. A slight increase in pitch is perfectly fine as it's only for festival screening and not distribution.

I did however find the source of the problem which is in the DCP-o-matic Player! I thought you might want to know about it.... The sync is out when I playback through my audio interface. It's a Focusrite Vocaster One. I'm attaching the screenshot of the default setting that DCP-o-matic player chooses for that interface.

When I re-route the sound to my built in Mac speakers it plays back perfectly! The screenshot for that is also attached.

I guess all I need to know is if the sound will play in sync in the Cinema?

Again Many Thanks!