Stereo audio to 6 - 5.1 Audio

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
melissathatblondie

Stereo audio to 6 - 5.1 Audio

Post by melissathatblondie »

Hi,

I converted my mp4 that has normal stereo audio into a DCP with 5.1 audio. I thought that this would automatically distribute my stereo sound to centre, lfe, etc., but when I open the DCP and click "show graph audio levels", it's showing that it's only coming out of the left and right channels.

How can I include audio to come out of centre, lfe, etc. in addition to left and right?

Thanks,
Melissa
Carsten

Re: Stereo audio to 6 - 5.1 Audio

Post by Carsten »

You need to enable the Mid-Side Decoder in the Audio section of the DCP tab.

- Carsten
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

melissathatblondie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:54 pm Hi,

I converted my mp4 that has normal stereo audio into a DCP with 5.1 audio. I thought that this would automatically distribute my stereo sound to centre, lfe, etc., but when I open the DCP and click "show graph audio levels", it's showing that it's only coming out of the left and right channels.

How can I include audio to come out of centre, lfe, etc. in addition to left and right?

Thanks,
Melissa
way 2...
The screening room has a Dolby processor that can perfectly convert 2.0 stereo sound to Dolby Pro-Logic II 5.1.
But we must inform Projectionist Know that the Dolby Pro-Logic II mode must be selected for your movie.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

way 2...
The screening room has a Dolby processor that can perfectly convert 2.0 stereo sound to Dolby Pro-Logic II 5.1.
But we must inform Projectionist Know that the Dolby Pro-Logic II mode must be selected for your movie.
We should make it clear that not all cinemas can do this technically, or have the on-site knowledge to set it up even if they did. You should not rely on this.
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

carl wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:48 pm
way 2...
We should make it clear that not all cinemas can do this technically, or have the on-site knowledge to set it up even if they did. You should not rely on this.
In Thailand, most theaters use Dolby CP750 processors, only IMAX doesn't use CP750. Hardly any theaters use DTS-DATASAT or AURO-3D alone.
Every theater must always have a CP750 in the rack or a CP850 for ATMOS.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

CP750 are not setup for matrix decoding per default. Unless it's common habit in Thailand for installers to do so. In most parts of the world, if you distribute a DCP in stereo, it will simply be played back L+R. Strictly speaking, ISDCF is even against the use of matrix audio in DCPs in general:

https://registry-page.isdcf.com/audioconfigs/

Because of this exact same reason - you can not guarantee proper playout.
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

Carsten wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:00 am CP750 are not setup for matrix decoding per default. Unless it's common habit in Thailand for installers to do so. In most parts of the world, if you distribute a DCP in stereo, it will simply be played back L+R. Strictly speaking, ISDCF is even against the use of matrix audio in DCPs in general:

https://registry-page.isdcf.com/audioconfigs/

Because of this exact same reason - you can not guarantee proper playout.
Dolby Pro-Logic II on the CP750 may only work with Non-Sync LR input, I may need to go back and read the manual again, thank you.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can apply ProLogic to the DCI/AES channels as well, but it needs a special command that is rarely setup serverside.

Unfortunately, there is no strict standard plan of how cinemas should be setup nowadays. Most are simply setup for Flat and Scope and 5.1 /7.1 and that's it.
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

Carsten wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:09 am You can apply ProLogic to the DCI/AES channels as well, but it needs a special command that is rarely setup serverside.

Unfortunately, there is no strict standard plan of how cinemas should be setup nowadays. Most are simply setup for Flat and Scope and 5.1 /7.1 and that's it.
:)