Dolby Atmos in DCP package

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
bkrysg3

Dolby Atmos in DCP package

Post by bkrysg3 »

How can I deliver Dolby Atmos in DCP? I have used Dolby Atmos Conversion Tools (https://professional.dolby.com/product/ ... tool/#gref) to convert ADM BWF to IMF IAB but only IMF LPCM works in DCP-o-matic. I can provide channel-based data but I cannot deliver dynamic metadata for Dolby Atmos, it looks like DCP-o-matic support IMF LPCM but it doesn't support IMF IAB (Immersive Audio Bitstream) that contains additional metadata for objects in Dolby Atmos

IMF IAB:
IMF-IAB.png
IMF LPCM:
IMF-LPCM.png
I think I need to provide metadata for Atmos in separate file.

easyDCP requires you to provide .atmos file with audio metadata and objects metadata if I am correct

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAY-NUE

Re: Dolby Atmos in DCP package

Post by RAY-NUE »

It's always been my understanding that DOM doesn't support Atmos.

DTS:X I understand that the audio files are played on a separate player. Then insert the time code signal into DCP at track 14(SMPTE). Am I understanding this correctly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

DOM does support ATMOS. We just need to work out what's going wrong here.
bkrysg3

Post by bkrysg3 »

If I am adding IMF LPCM with 12 channel it works but the whole Dolby Atmos thing is useless because if cinema has ex. 9.1.6 setup, then the LPCM 12 channels 7.1.4 file is upmixed to 9.1.6 and not adapted to current cinema sound setup. One more thing that I noticed, after encoding to IMF LPCM the objects are pre-rendered, Dolby Atmos is rendering objects on-the-fly using Dolby cinema processor then rendered signal is sent to a cinema multi-channel amplifier using AES connector. If DOM supports Dolby Atmos, then why I cannot add IMF IAB file to DCP package made with Dolby Atmos Conversion Tools and DaVinci Resolve Studio 18?
Last edited by bkrysg3 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Looks like we talked about this a while ago: https://www.dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1880
bkrysg3

Post by bkrysg3 »

carl wrote: ↑Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:48 am Looks like we talked about this a while ago: https://www.dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1880
Any updates? IMF IAB is still not recognized in DOM as audio trackπŸ˜…
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

If DOM supports Dolby Atmos, then why I cannot add IMF IAB file to DCP package made with Dolby Atmos Conversion Tools and DaVinci Resolve Studio 18?
Sorry, when I meant it "supports Dolby Atmos", I meant "people have used it to make DCPs containing ATMOS content and they worked".

I guess what you are seeing is either something we didn't do yet, or a bug.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DaVinci currently allows ATMOS for home video/audio. There is not yet a direct way into ATMOS for cinema. I do assume though, that Black Magic Design will sooner or later open that path - especially since the generalised IAB format can now be used license-free.
DCP-o-matic is ready to support ATMOS, but has no specific features to generate or convert ATMOS files for cinema (except the ability to create an ATMOS timecode track).

I guess it's more useful to bring this up towards Black Magic Design. Their ability to implement new features in Resolve is known to be impressing.

- Carsten
bkrysg3

Post by bkrysg3 »

To summarize, DOM doesn't support Dolby Atmos IMF IAB but allows you to create a timecode track for Dolby Atmos
bkrysg3

Post by bkrysg3 »

Any updates? IMF IAB is still not recognized in DOM as audio trackπŸ˜…
easyDCP is recognizing IMF IAB file and it even creates this timecode track, there is a switch to enable Dolby Atmos and then the whole contents of IMF IAB file are imported so this is cinema compliant, this file form DaVinci Resolve Studio 18. Never mind I will do more research because I think DaVinci Resolve Studio 18 support Dolby Atmos for Cinema, it's considered as a cinema focused software πŸ˜…
Last edited by bkrysg3 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.