Dolby Atmos in DCP package

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
izwb003

Re: Dolby Atmos in DCP package

Post by izwb003 »

bkrysg3 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:01 am
carl wrote: ↑Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:48 am Looks like we talked about this a while ago: https://www.dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1880
Any updates? IMF IAB is still not recognized in DOM as audio trackπŸ˜…
None of any .mxf file comes from a IMF package can be put into a DCP directly. They are not the same standard. Take Atmos as an example, IMF IAB file is from standard "ST 2067-201 Immersive Audio Bitstream Level 0 Plug-in", but DCP IAB file is from standard "RDD57 IAB application profile 1". They are adapted from a same standard (ST 2098-2) but follows different constraints. A DCP production tool can recognize IMF files is incorrect.
jdent02 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:05 pm
bkrysg3 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:53 am I think DaVinci Resolve Studio 18 support Dolby Atmos for Cinema, it's considered as a cinema focused software πŸ˜…
No, it doesn't.

Resolve supports Dolby Atmos IMF IAB. That isn't a theatrical file format and it does not import into easyDCP (I tried).

Carsten is right in that there is no commercial software that can create THEATRICAL IAB files, at least not yet. IMF IAB is NOT the same thing, and will not work in a DCP.

And I'm still not convinced Resolve will come to the rescue here. They can already create IMF IAB so the 'guts' of the process are there, and I don't think it would require much to make it capable of theatrical IAB. Either it's a low priority, or something else is preventing it.
Agree.

See https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s ... uage=en_US. Dolby announced that tools can generate IMF IAB like Dolby Atmos Renderer and Resolve are called "designed for nearfield mixing rooms being used to create content for Blu-ray and Streaming Delivery.", but not for cinemas. IMF IAB was also designed for making IMF packages, which is for home entertainment, not theaters. I believe that's why until today Resolve still cannot make DCP Atmos, because it was not designed for that.

viewtopic.php?t=2110 In my topic we talked more about this and I've given a more detail explaination. If you are really eager to make a Atmos DCP, I gave a solution made by myself at the end of this topic.