EasyDCP verification

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
MFilmer

EasyDCP verification

Post by MFilmer »

I noticed that all DCPs created in SMPTE format with DCPomatic give a "warning" when checked in the EasyDCP Player (newest version). I think it seems to be due to the SMPTE RDD52 (Bv2.1) standard. Sometimes Easy DCP even hangs when it opens a DCP from DCPomatic while checking the XML and does not open the dcp at all.

DCPs as SMPTE 429 (why can they no longer be created with DCPomatic?) were previously checked by EasyDCP (older versions) without any warning. Unfortunately I only have a demo version of EasyDCP and so I can't see exactly what the problem is. However, it would of course be stupid if the DCP was rejected just because EasyDCP issues a warning (and many check their DCPs with EasyDCP, e.g. festivals)

I know that in the past you have "tricked" EasyDCP into not issuing a warning, I just wanted to give this as a hint and maybe someone can check why SMPTE DCPs from DCPomatic always get a warning now - however InterOp DCPs work well without any warnings.
carl
Site Admin

Re: EasyDCP verification

Post by carl »

Thanks for the note. Can you give the precise versions of EasyDCP and DCP-o-matic that you are using?
MFilmer

Post by MFilmer »

Hi Carl,

DCPomatic 2.16.64
Easy DCP Player 4.1.6

I just checked a SMPTE DCP created with dcpomatic 2.16.64 with no error in the dcpomatic player, but in easydcp 4.1.6 the whole dcp does not open (freezes by loading the XML) - however sometimes it loads but then easydcp shows up a warning.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks! The freezes I would suggest are a bug in EasyDCP and quite difficult to debug our end, unless perhaps there's a known version of DOM that doesn't trigger it

What error does it give when it doesn't freeze?
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

MFilmer wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:34 pm Hi Carl,

DCPomatic 2.16.64
Easy DCP Player 4.1.6

I just checked a SMPTE DCP created with dcpomatic 2.16.64 with no error in the dcpomatic player, but in easydcp 4.1.6 the whole dcp does not open (freezes by loading the XML) - however sometimes it loads but then easydcp shows up a warning.
Dolby IMS2000 IMS3000 No problem..
StephW999

Post by StephW999 »

Hello,
I suppose :
EasyDCP player validates Smpte Bv2.1 DCPs with 16-channel audio only. (Wild Track Format)
Validates smpte 429 and InterOp DCPs with 2 to 16 channels

here is a link for 3 dcp that I just made: (To be tested with EasyDCP player)
Smpte Bv2.1
Smpte 429
InterOp

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e4f9be ... 136/fb1c6b
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

For some reason EasyDCP is often considered the 'higher' authority. However - it has bugs, too, or does not perform validation correctly. Even with SMPTE and RDD52, there is quite some interpretation margin. And the worst thing about it: The free demo player complains, but does not indicate what it complains about.

Also, there is no spec that demands 8 or 16 channels (silent or populated) in the audio MXF.

For some strange reason, and with all these different evaluation/QC tools around now, one could actually advise to create Interop DCPs again because most tools then do hardly any evaluations on IOP content.

Reality is: commercial DCPs, trailers, and full length features in the field are all over the place, and many would probably fail on these tests.
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
StephW999

Post by StephW999 »

Carsten wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:46 pm For some reason EasyDCP is often considered the 'higher' authority. However - it has bugs, too, or does not perform validation correctly. Even with SMPTE and RDD52, there is quite some interpretation margin.
+1
MFilmer

Post by MFilmer »

carl wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:40 pm Thanks! The freezes I would suggest are a bug in EasyDCP and quite difficult to debug our end, unless perhaps there's a known version of DOM that doesn't trigger it

What error does it give when it doesn't freeze?
It just freezes by opening the dcp created with dcpomatic - Nothing happens after that. (see screenshot Attachement)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MFilmer

Post by MFilmer »

StephW999 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:44 pm Hello,
I suppose :
EasyDCP player validates Smpte Bv2.1 DCPs with 16-channel audio only. (Wild Track Format)
Validates smpte 429 and InterOp DCPs with 2 to 16 channels

here is a link for 3 dcp that I just made: (To be tested with EasyDCP player)
Smpte Bv2.1
Smpte 429
InterOp

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e4f9be ... 136/fb1c6b
I also get a warning with a created dcp (16 channels / SMPTE Bv2.1) in easy dcp player. I must be something different. I guess we need a licensed version of easydcp player to find out whats causing these warnings.

EDIT: Your SMPTE Bv2.1 does not have any warnings in easydcp. What are your settings? Cant find any difference...
Last edited by MFilmer on Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.