How to use a DKDM in DCP-O-MATIC?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
raindrop

How to use a DKDM in DCP-O-MATIC?

Post by raindrop »

Hello!
I am a projectionist at a small specialized cinema that also uses mp4 files, avis, and other file types not commonly used in regular cinemas. Occasionally, I receive DCPs and need to add subtitles to them, which is usually not a problem.

But now, I have a more challenging task: I need to decrypt a DCP using a DKDM that was sent to us (they couldn't send us a DCP without a key) and then add subtitles. I've never done this before, and I can't find an option in DCP-O-MATIC to apply the DKDM to the DCP. The DCP consists of 7 audio files and 7 video files, and the film is scheduled to be shown the day after tomorrow.

Could you please provide a step-by-step guide on what I need to do? If you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help!
carl
Site Admin

Re: How to use a DKDM in DCP-O-MATIC?

Post by carl »

You would need a DKDM that was specifically made for DCP-o-matic, not just the one they sent for your projector. Did you already ask for one? The distribution company is unfortunately quite likely to refuse such a request.
raindrop

Post by raindrop »

Yes, it is a DKDM specifically made for DCP-O-MATIC.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Add the encrypted DCP to a project, it should say "NEEDS KDM" in the content list, then right-click on it and choose "Add KDM...", give it your KDM, then carry on as you usually would.
raindrop

Post by raindrop »

I tried "Add Folder" but it says "missing asset ...sub.xml".
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Maybe you could show us what files are in this DCP.
raindrop

Post by raindrop »

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Is the missing .xml file DoM is complaining about inside one of those folders? Can you share the location of this DCP on the hard disk, and the DCP-o-matic version you are using?

I'm wondering if you're hitting a bug related to long filenames on Windows.
raindrop

Post by raindrop »

Version is: 2.9.0

The File is in there (the first folder):

D:\share\Filme\PKG - L'Homme De La Cave (The Man in the Basement)\HommeDeLaCave_FTR_24_185_20211124_HVY_21081314\21_08_1314_21081314\TheManInTheBas_FTR-9_F_FR-XX-EN_INT_51_2K_20210729_M14_IOP_OV\1c7fee4f-f29a-47f8-9ee5-81ba6e8e512e

The name of the "missing file" (it is there... not missing) is:
1c7fee4f-f29a-47f8-9ee5-81ba6e8e512e_sub.xml

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I suspect that's it - you'll need to move that DCP to somewhere with a shorter path or install the latest stable release.

That probably wouldn't be a bad thing anyway since 2.9.0 is 8 years old at this point. Though given it's such a big version jump, and you have a KDM (which depends on your certificates) I would suggest taking a backup of c:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\dcpomatic to save your settings if you do upgrade.