audio out of sync

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jillmobley

Re: audio out of sync

Post by jillmobley »

I am sorry, I did not have access to the original VHS. They were several clips recorded from defferent tv shows then put together in the late 80's/early 90's. In the last year or so a friend converted all her VHS tapes to mp4. I was given on of these conversions.

I used Carl's suggestions and got a pretty decent dcp. I had a private event at my theater and everyone was delighted to see the old footage.

I always appreciate everone's help here!

Jill Mobley
Kennett Palace Theater
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

While mp4 is pretty much a standard file format, it may be that tape captures use special features of the h.264 codec that may introduce timing issues. Tape captures, depending on the capture hardware, may show timing jitter, and that could cause these sync issues you noticed.
RAY-NUE

Post by RAY-NUE »

jillmobley wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:11 pm I am sorry, I did not have access to the original VHS. They were several clips recorded from defferent tv shows then put together in the late 80's/early 90's. In the last year or so a friend converted all her VHS tapes to mp4. I was given on of these conversions.

I used Carl's suggestions and got a pretty decent dcp. I had a private event at my theater and everyone was delighted to see the old footage.

I always appreciate everone's help here!

Jill Mobley
Kennett Palace Theater
I recommend importing these mp4s into davinci resolve and checking the frame rate in the metadata. Then set the timeline to match the frame rate (24/25/30 fps) and place these mp4s in the timeline. Then move the sound to sync with the lips in the picture. Then render the image as jpeg2000 Kakadu DCP and then render the wav audio, separate the tracks for the final 5.1-7.1 mix (Vegas Pro/ Logic Pro / Pro Tools / Steinberg /Audition) . *** The davinci timeline framerate and DOM framerate must be the same. ***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.