Audio Assist Channels on 15 and 16

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
novavento

Audio Assist Channels on 15 and 16

Post by novavento »

I have not been able to find this in the documentation...

I am building features and DCPs with audio assist. This usually comes in on channel 15 & 16 (descriptions on one and center channel mix on the other) but when I import the track from the post house it is only coming up as a Center channel. How can I manually map these?

Thanks!
Carsten

Re: Audio Assist Channels on 15 and 16

Post by Carsten »

Can you be more explicit on what you use as input and what you want to achieve? I assume you know that HI/VI-N in DCPs are to be put on DCP/MXF channels 7+8? If you import individual tracks for these, DCP-o-matic always maps them to the center channel per default (unless their file name matches the DCP channel names 1-6). All you need to do is uncheck the green square below center channel, and click/create another green connection point under 7 (HI) or 8 (VI-N).

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch06s05.html#idp13
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
novavento

Post by novavento »

Okay, that makes sense, I appreciate that.

The theater I checked with said that usually they came in on 15 & 16 so I jsut wasn't sure what to do.

I will try this.

Thanks!

EDIT: I gues I am not understanding how to do this. I did a test with the trailer and imported the picture, audio and audio assist. These are how they come in? Is there a way to simply label them so they come in properly or am I not even importing them the correct way?

Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The accepted international standard for DCPs is having HI/VI-N on channels 7 and 8.

https://files.isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Do ... ations.pdf

Don't know what this cinema is doing different. Maybe it's a misunderstanding - the MXF channel numbering may deviate from the hardware channel assignment in the projection booth.
In the DCP, in DCP-o-matic, you need to use channels 7&8.

Currently, the automatic mapping only applies to L/R/C/LFE/Ls/Rs, ends after these first six channels. It would probably be easy for Carl to extend this scheme to more channels.

However - where's the big deal in just clicking once to route these two channels correctly as a deliberate decision? It's usually even less involved than renaming the files.

Your screenshots only shows 6 channels. If you want to add and map HI/VI-N, you need to configure at least 8 audio channels in DCP/Audio.
novavento

Post by novavento »

Okay, NOW it makes sense. I could not figure out how to add those channels to save my life.

Thank you!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Okay, I understand your problem better now, you were expecting these additional channels to show up automatically once you add those files.

But no, you first need to setup the necessary channel pattern under DCP->Audio. Then HI/VI-N and e.g. BsL/BsR will appear in the matrix.

- Carsten
novavento

Post by novavento »

I am almost there. Nearly everything is coming up but I have one last question.

I am mapping the Dialogue track to VI-N at 1:1

Should I be mapping H to 1:1 or 1:2?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Do you mean 1:1 or 1:2 in the audio matrix? That would not be dialogue, but L or R? Unless you have stereo audio only.
novavento

Post by novavento »

Thanks for responding. Sorry this is so late but I am still struggling with this 3 months later. I jsut did another test and it failed yet again.

I created a DCP for the trailer of the feature and I am still having issues. Basically I don't have the mapping figured out apparently. For example, when I go to the theater and QC I have the enhanced dialogue in one in and then in the other ear I have teh audio description AND some sort of dialogue mix.

If I open the mxf file in audacity I only have audio description in that channel but when I go to the theater and ingest i hear both in that ear.

Is there a refence map some where that would show me exactly how to map 5.1 + HI / VI?