Automatic audio mapping not working

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
MUTEmaker

Automatic audio mapping not working

Post by MUTEmaker »

Hi there – I am fairly new to DCP-o-Matic. I have a Quicktime ProRes with 5.1 audio and when I put it into DCP-o-Matic the automatic audio mapping didn't work. Instead of seeing six green boxes I only see one – the Centre box on channel 1. All the other tracks are empty. I can't see what's wrong with the video. The only thing that is weird is that when I open the inspector on Quicktime it lists the audio channels "Track id" starting with "3" not "1". In fact 1 and 2 are not there. It just goes from 3 to 8. Could this be the problem?
Many thanks!
Carsten

Re: Automatic audio mapping not working

Post by Carsten »

Can you make a short file available with exact same track properties? audio can be silent and image black.

In Quicktime, there is a difference between multiple streams and multiple tracks. A single stream may have multiple tracks (e.g. 6 for a 5.1 mix), and usually DCP-o-matic maps them automatically.
If the multichannel audio is stored as multiple single-track streams, DCP-o-matic may assign every individual stream/track to the center channel, that is the default. I understand some editing software allows to configure both file formats, but some don't.
MUTEmaker

Post by MUTEmaker »

Thanks for getting back to me. I think this is exactly what has happened. I think the master ProRes has multiple single track streams and DCP-o-Matic has assigned them all to the centre.

I did a test using the stereo version of the film and when I load it in to DCP-o-Matic the audio mapping seems fine. But when I load in an alternative stereo version that is exported with separate "dual mono" tracks then the same automatic centring occurs on the DCP-o-Matic audio mapping.

Would the solution be to make a new version in Da Vinci Resolve (the edit software I use) and group the 5.1 into a single stream (which I am pretty sure is possible with Resolve)?

Or is there another way?

thanks!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well, for a single file/DCP, it is of course easier to just map manually using the matrix. If you create DCPs using the same workflow more often, it would certainly be advisable to always create singlestream multitrack audio.
MUTEmaker

Post by MUTEmaker »

Ok thanks!