examine content fails

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
dermot shane

Re: examine content fails

Post by dermot shane »

carl wrote:
"not responding" after 30 seconds or so
cpu cycles drop to 0 in taskmangler for 2 min before i force quit
How are you importing the J2K files?
using "add folder" under content
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

the j2c files did index when broken into folders of less than 20,000 files per, The 6ch wav seems to link up,so i think we are in a good place overall
That's interesting ... are your files on HFS+ on a Mac? Roughly how many files are there in total?
the ony point of concern now is the preview showing an incorrent white point, the system defaulted to "none" for color conversions, so i'm thinking the preview on the UI is not interpreting the color corrctly, but with no conversions applied the film should display corectly in the cinema?
The preview is not the be-all-and-end-all of colour accuracy, but it should be in the right ballpark. It sounds like you want to use P3 for the colour conversion setting in DCP-o-matic. It has guessed that your J2Ks are in XYZ which sounds wrong.

Sad to say but if you are to be sure you really need to look at the DCP projected in a well-calibrated cinema...
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

carl wrote: That's interesting ... are your files on HFS+ on a Mac? Roughly how many files are there in total?
there's around 140,000 j2c's in the master folder, around 30,000 in each of 4 folders i used sucessfully, they are on a 12disk SAS direct attached array, formated NTFS
carl wrote:
The preview is not the be-all-and-end-all of colour accuracy, but it should be in the right ballpark. It sounds like you want to use P3 for the colour conversion setting in DCP-o-matic. It has guessed that your J2Ks are in XYZ which sounds wrong.

Sad to say but if you are to be sure you really need to look at the DCP projected in a well-calibrated cinema...
yes we mastered @ P3 for the DCDM, working in ACES with P3 ODT and a 16' screen hit by a christe proj - Resolve makes XYZ from the timeline when i select jpeg2000 in deliverables page, and XYZ they clearly are, when i select a XYZ IDT in ACEs they display correctly with the white point accuratly placed by the ODT, so they display corectly with a 709 mon and 709 ODT, and display correctly with a P3-DCi projector and aP3-DCi ODT

this workflow has been trouble free in the past, but with post facilities who do this ona daily basis, but i'm not that person!

In this case i am trying to help a filmmaker who is near the end of any possiable resources to get his film into the festivals that have already programed the show...
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

If your J2Ks are XYZ then setting "None" for colour conversion should give you a good DCP...
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

great to know!

it took about 35 min to transcodem, using 16 cores at around 18% average and it's now been "computeing digests" for the last 10min, how long should this process take?

i think it's doing something as the CPU's are running at 10% with only the physical core's running, and the disk array is around 70%
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

and it's done! 41 min and hopefully correct..

will screen tomorrow morning in a cinema
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

That process is disk-IO-bound as it's just shuffling data about without doing any encoding. Let us know how it looks...
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

today's update is that the picture looked awesome, playing back on Christie2200, hitting a 40 foot screen... all the P3 goodness translated pretty much a spot on match to my gradeing suite

the audio tho... miles out of sync so i'm looking at that now, i exported both the XYZ jpeg2000's and 5.1 wraped in .wav from 2pop to 2pop excatly but the audio shows up a very short in the timeline, i'm re-exporting the audio at 24bit (Resolve defualt is 16bit) and will see if that is the issue... there does not seem to be any way to tell the software what the frame rate/sample rate is for audio? did i miss that in tmy 3hours of experince with this?

pretty amazing that i could get something out with pretty much zero expreience , thanks Carl!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

the audio tho... miles out of sync so i'm looking at that now, i exported both the XYZ jpeg2000's and 5.1 wraped in .wav from 2pop to 2pop excatly but the audio shows up a very short in the timeline, i'm re-exporting the audio at 24bit (Resolve defualt is 16bit) and will see if that is the issue... there does not seem to be any way to tell the software what the frame rate/sample rate is for audio? did i miss that in tmy 3hours of experince with this?
How short is very short? What frame rate is the DCP at, and what frame rate should it be at? Does the sync get worse or stay the same amount out?

If you send the metadata.xml from your project it might give some clues (you can send to carl@dcpomatic.com)

24/16-bit shouldn't make a difference to sync.
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

this is something funky with Resolve

timeline is 1:26:50:10
i export both .wav and jpeg2000 from 2pop-to-2pop

when i import them back into a clean Resolve project;
Jpeg2000 image seq is 1:26:50:10
5.1.wav file shows as 1:02:06:07, seems to have the entire mix on it, running fast

will try exporting audio wrapped in Qt, i don't think you support mxf op-atom? that's the only other option in Resolve