Error 16 in writing video MXF

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Yaz

Error 16 in writing video MXF

Post by Yaz »

Hello,
Sorry i'm new here and moreover I'm french so my english is poor

I've Started to use DCPoMatic it's a great tool

I converted a home made trailer (3minutes) I did by myself just to check if it works in our city theater, and it does, the quality is perfect and video/audio are synchronized
but now I'm trying to convert a home made movie but since the length is more than 10 min I have this error:
"Error in writing video MXF ("location)(name of the file) (error-16)
and the same message in french

any idea?
Google and forum search bar can't find anything like this, it looks like i'm the only one

Details
- I tried on iOS and Windows32, it changes nothing
- i used HardDrive with enough capacity (from 130Go to 5To), it changes nothing
- I'm not using the PC/Mac to do anything else, just DCPoMatic is running
- conversion is starting and at some point it stops and error message appears
- i used different movies format, it changes nothing
- I tried movie length from 1min to 20min, the problem occurs near 10min length
- I changed nothing on the setings, just the default one

screenshots
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ympel8xla178l ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0q6y3fm4ps6i ... r.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmmxyps6unk9q ... 3.jpg?dl=0

Thanks/Merci
Yaz
carl
Site Admin

Re: Error 16 in writing video MXF

Post by carl »

That's a general failure to write to disk, for some reason. Are you using FAT32-formatted drives to make the DCP on, or something else?
Yaz

Post by Yaz »

Yes I am
The theater video device cannot accept other drive.
I tried MacOS drive and ExFat, they can't open the drive
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

That will be your problem, I think. FAT can't store files larger than 4Gb.

You have two options:
  • 1. Use NTFS or EXT2.
    2. Set "Reels" to "Custom" and set the reel length to something smaller than 4Gb.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

First of all, you should render your DCP onto an internal HFS+ (Mac) or NTFS (Win) drive. Then copy from there.

If you have both OS options, I would suggest WIN for now, since it is a bit easier to write to an NTFS drive from Windows without installing additional software on the Mac. FAT32 will be okay as long as no individual file grows larger than 4GBytes, which works for trailers and some shorts, but nothing lengthy. ExFAT is only recognized by a few servers. Note that the DCP is actually only one folder within your DCP-o-matic project folder.
If, after finishing the conversion, you choose 'Show DCP' from the Jobs-Menu, you will see this folder highlighted in your file browser. Only this folder needs to be copied to the cinema server/portable drive, not the whole project folder.

Make sure you partition your portable drive with the MBR option, not GUID/GPT, as the latter causes issues on some servers.
Repartitioning a GUID drive back to MBR is a bit complicated under windows, a bit easier on the Mac.
I would suggest you buy a portable USB 2.5" 500GByte drive, as that will usually be MBR partitioned, and will usually be NTFS formatted. Keep that drive in that state for all your cinema DCP transports. There are a few Toshiba portable drives that come NTFS formatted, but contain an additional fast NTFS driver for Macs (Tuxera NTFS). Make sure you save that driver file.

The official drive specs for cinema servers are:

MBR partition scheme, single partition only
ext2 or ext3 (Linux) format with inode size 128
max 2TB drives (no, it will not work to partition a drive larger than 2TB into smaller 2TB partitions, it's the drive capacity, not the partition size that counts)

Realistically, you can switch to NTFS for your personal distribution, but stick to the MBR and max 2TB. Note that some servers support GUID, some exFat, some drives larger then 2TB. But the fact that it works on one server doesn't mean it will work on a different server. So you should use the most compatible format.

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Also if you intend to ingest on IMAX digital system use ext2/ext3 in your case. IMAX doesn't accept NTFS formatted drives, only FAT32 and ext2/ext3.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Wondering why that is the case, as traditional Xenon IMAX uses Doremi servers, which support NTFS, and the new laser IMAX use Barco Alchemy, which support NTFS as well. Maybe they use a separate Ingest-Station/TMS which is stricter?

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

That is possible. We have Xenon IMAX with Doremi2000 and only FAT32 and ext2/ext3 file systems are supported for ingest, no matter which USB port is used - in the projector or in the SMS console (the latter works under WinXP but still no NTFS support for ingest).