DCP fails to ingest

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
SaffronScreen

DCP fails to ingest

Post by SaffronScreen »

We're using version 2.10.1 git 6ccb38866b and trying to create a DCP from an MKV file. The file is 18.3Gb and ripped from a Bluray. DCP-o-matic creates the DCP without any problems but when we try to ingest on our GDC SX2100a server it fails with an exception (no details as to why). We have tried splitting the DCP into 5Gb reels but this makes no difference.

We use DCP-o-matic every week on small files (trailers) without any problems, but when we try larger files, the created DCPs invariably won't ingest.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Paul
Carsten

Re: DCP fails to ingest

Post by Carsten »

Which wrapping type do you use, IOP or SMPTE? OS running DOM?

Which capacity and format does the drive have that you are using to ingest the DCP from?

- Carsten
SaffronScreen

Post by SaffronScreen »

Hi Carsten

We normally use SMPTE. Since my post I tried Interop and it worked! However, on previous occasions, with other files, it hasn't worked!

We're using Windows 7 and creating the dcp on a hard drive of 2TB with about 700GB free. We ingest directly from that drive using FTP.

Paul
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, is that an SX2001A or an SA2100A? The latter is not the most recent server, it has been discontinued, maybe it has trouble with the recent SMPTE format. It is not on DOMs compatibility matrix - which doesn't necessarily mean it is not compatible, but Carl may not have received confirmation. Also the matrix makes no difference between certain aspects of DCPs, like IOP or SMPTE.
Can you check the software version of the GDC?

Again - if you don't have a clear reason why to use SMPTE, stay with Interop as long as that reason doesn't shop up.

'SMPTE is the latest' is no such reason. ;-)

- Carsten
SaffronScreen

Post by SaffronScreen »

Yes it's an SX2001A. I don't think it's an SMPTE issue - I ran some tests earlier this year which were all ok. We also regularly ingest trailers in SMPTE made with DOM - it just seems to be a size thing! As I said before, swapping to Interop doesn't always work either.
The GDC software is version 7.83.

Paul
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, strange. If you are absolutely sure about a specific DCP not ingesting, try to copy it from the PC to a USB stick and try a direct local ingest.

Also, make sure on your PCs FTP software that binary transfers are always used, not 'ASCII' or 'AUTO'.

We recently had a thread about mysterious defect DCPs, and it turned out the PC memory was actually faulty.

- Carsten
SaffronScreen

Post by SaffronScreen »

Thanks Carsten

I'll check out everything you mentioned and see if hat helps.

Paul