black frames

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
director

black frames

Post by director »

Greetings everyone and a happy new year!

I have the following issue: I have a pre-existing dcp (25fps), in which I had to hard-cut out two parts. Therefore, I loaded the existing dcp three times into Dcpomatic and trimmed it. In the preview everything looks fine. After I produced the new edited dcp however, after each cut there is a black frame. Any suggestions appreciated,

-director-
Last edited by director on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Re: black frames

Post by Carsten »

Which version of DOM, and which OS? Maybe you can send the metadata file of the project with the cuts to Carl?

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi,
As Carsten says: perhaps you could send the metadata.xml file to me (carl@dcpomatic.com)? I just tried quickly to reproduce your problem and I couldn't... the metadata.xml should help.
Thanks, Carl
director

Post by director »

Dear Carsten and Carl,

thank you for your quick response. I've sent Carsten the metadata.xml files. My current DOM version is 2.10.5 and tried the stable version before too and started a new project file in DOM with different dcp files. Problem remained. My Macbook runs on Sierra 10.12.2.

Cheers,

-director-
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I'll try to replicate that on my Sierra notebook. When the trimming is applied, can you open timeline view and check the 'Keep video and subtitles in sequence' option?
About how long are your segments each?

- Carsten
director

Post by director »

Dear Carsten,

will make to check the box and will try it again. Also, sometimes it seems to add a black frame at only one position and at some tries adds it at both cuts. Even if at times no black frame can be seen in DOM, it shows at Premiere import or EasyDCP-Player, when looking at the cut frame by frame. Length of each part: (1) 01:30:29.21 (2) 00:00:35.22 (3) 00:08:22.1

Cheers,

-director-
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi -director-,
Thanks for sending those metadata files. The strange thing is that some of your end-trims aren't an integer number of frames, and I don't know how this could have happened. How did you set them up in DCP-o-matic?
Kind regards,
Carl
director

Post by director »

Dear Carl,

as mentioned earlier, I created a new project in DOM. Then I used "add DCP" three times to import the same whole mxf into DOM. I then trimmed each part, so it would cut out the parts I don't need anymore. Then I processed it into a new DCP. In the DOM preview it shows most of the time all the frames continuously without black (in some attempts it also shows the black frame). On Premiere or EasyDCP-Player import a black frame appears. However, again, not always at both cuts, but at least at one. I would love to skip to process the image an additional time (like it would be the case when using dcp plug-ins in Premiere). Was hoping therefore for the trimming option in DOM.

Cheers,

-director-

P.S.: Up to which Mbit-rate do you propose for a DCP (2K)? 150Mbits?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I then trimmed each part
Did you do this by editing the numbers in the "TIming" tab?
director

Post by director »

Dear Carl,

I use the slider to go to the needed frame and press the button before and/or after the cut, depending on the part.

Cheers,

-director-