DCP for IMAX with 12.1 sound?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
lemonsquirt

Re: DCP for IMAX with 12.1 sound?

Post by lemonsquirt »

I have a keen interest in setting up my own theatre one day, but as of now, I have a friend who knows the owner of a theatre, and we were given a green flag to watch any movie there, on the IMAX audi, provided we bring a DCP with us, I don't know whether they have a IMAX12 setup or IMAX5 setup but I'm preparing 2 DCPs for that matter, so if it is possible for someone to help me get hold of an IMAX12 or IMAX5 intro file with some trailers so that I could make a DCP out of it, it would be great!

I was told that they wouldn't play any trailers or IMAX intro but only the content on the DCP, so I come here guys, please help!

Also, I'm making a DCP with 7.1 audio, will I be able to play that on the IMAX setup even if it is IMAX5 or should I continue making 2 DCPs?
Carsten

Re: DCP for IMAX with 12.1 sound?

Post by Carsten »

As far as I know, IMAX audio will have to be 5.1 or 12 channel. 7.1 is not supported I believe. Although they may have a special 7.1-to-12ch mapping mode.

If you have free access to an IMAX laser site, you just need to prepare a 16ch test DCP. Record yourself counting from 1 to 16, cut into pieces, put on consecutive channels 1-16, play in IMAX auditorium. I am pretty sure though that the sound will stop at '6', as the IMAX laser auditorium will need to be placed into a special 12ch mode for the remaining channels to become audible, and so far it seems that no one outside IMAX corp knows how that is done. IMAX limits the use of dual projection/high brightness for standard DCPs in a similar way.

But - go ahead and try! It's simple to create the test DCP.

As far as I know, IMAX 12ch sound is only available in IMAX laser auditoriums.

If I'd have access to an IMAX auditorium, I would take a notebook with me and create some test DCPs on location to try out things.

- Carsten