Adding a clack card to the front of an existing encrypted DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

Adding a clack card to the front of an existing encrypted DCP

Post by rtX »

I have an encrypted DCP of a film to which I need to add a clack card at the front (a BBFC rating card that has been supplied by BBFC as a single frame jpg).

I need to repeat the frame (probably for 5 to 10 seconds). That will be, say, 120 times. Is there any way I can easily add this to an existing DCP?

I suspect not, and if I can not do this and I have to re-make the DCP with the clack card at the front, is it possible to ask DCP-o-matic to add the jpg 120 times on the front of the film (which I have as a ProRes 4444 file)? That is rather than having to re-make the Prores 4444 file with the clack card added using editing software. The reason I don't want to edit the Prores files to include the clack card is that I do not have the Prores 4444 write codec - I do not use Apple and I can only read material that has been encoded Prores 4444, not write it

My third question to any projectionists reading this is to ask if the clack card usually comes as part of the DCP or as a separate DCP altogether, just in case I am making this more difficult than I need to.

Many thanks.
Carsten

Re: Adding a clack card to the front of an existing encrypted DCP

Post by Carsten »

You should be able to add the DCP, but you need a KDM for it. Its no problem to add a still image and adjust length, etc in front of other content in DCP-o-matic. I do that kind of composition all the time. Just try!

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You would need a KDM which is targeted at your copy of DCP-o-matic. It might not be easy to convince whoever is making the KDMs to do this, as it gives you the ability to make unencrypted copies of their DCP.

It sounds like perhaps you are making the KDMs... in which case, it should be quite easy:
  • Add your BBFC JPEG project using "Add file"
  • Select it, go to the "Timing tab" and set how long you want the card to appear for.
  • Add the DCP to the project using "Add folder..." then right-click it, choose "Add KDM" and specify your KDM.
  • Make DCP and you will then have a new DCP with the BBFC added.
My third question to any projectionists reading this is to ask if the clack card usually comes as part of the DCP or as a separate DCP altogether, just in case I am making this more difficult than I need to.
It's been a few years but in my day the BBFC usually came as a separate DCP. There is even a type (RTG) for ratings DCPs.
rtX

Post by rtX »

Thanks for the kind responses.

I think I shall make an unencrypted separate clack card DCP and provide it with the encrypted DCP I already have made.

Many thanks again.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Probably the best idea. What do these cards look like, we don't have that in germany, can you upload an image?

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Thanks. Do all UK movie showings need to display these before the movie starts?

We don't have that in germany. The ratings commission issues their reports in public. The cinema operator quotes the rating in program flyers, posters, etc, and puts up a sign at the box office. That's it.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks. Do all UK movie showings need to display these before the movie starts?
Yes they appear in front of every feature. I think it's compulsory...