Same DCP, different issues with different Servers

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Same DCP, different issues with different Servers

Post by Carsten »

Wether RGB implies a reduction in quality depends on your source footage and work/grading color space.

While it is true that XYZ is more capable than RGB, converting source/work footage from e.g. rec709 or RGB sources will only partially use up the XYZ color space anyway.

But it seems the major aspect here is that the definition of XYZ is not complete between Resolve and DCI, and it seems the thing that's missing may be gamma and whitepoint definition. If you want DCP-o-matic to completely skip any color conversion and just compress to J2K, you have to make sure the XYZ export from resolve meets exactly DCI standards. Also, depending on your work environment/preview hardware during editing and grading, even IF the XYZ export would follow DCI specifications, you would still see differences because of mismatched preview/DCI display parameters.

Most people accept 'some' variation. Just the difference between a monitor and a projection can be considerable, even if both use the same color space.

Wondering wether DOM could catch the case of non-standard J2K and issue a hint/warning.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I used Resolve 12.5

I guess we need to know more precisely. I heard they fixed the DCI compatibility of the JPEG2000 software encoder in some version of 12.5.x

- Carsten
BrainFreeze

Post by BrainFreeze »

HI,

I'm very interested in this thread - how did the forced re-encode work out? Did you drop down to a lower bitrate? If so, what did you go with?