Large format 2 projector cinema

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
athanic

Large format 2 projector cinema

Post by athanic »

Hi Carl hello everyone !

My client asked me if my previous created dcps ( which always 2k resolution ) can be able to play or show nicely in a Large format 2 projector cinema. What does he mean ?

Thanks in advance carl thanks in advance everybody.
Carsten

Re: Large format 2 projector cinema

Post by Carsten »

As long as they are unencrypted, I wouldn't see a reason why they shouldn't play. Even encrypted, they may work, but you have to test.

- Carsten
athanic

Post by athanic »

Thanks for the reply sir Carsten.

What are Large format 2 projectors cinema ? will a 2k resolution will still clear in what he called large format 2 projector cinemas?

Thanks again sir.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There is nothing too specific about a generic Large Format 2 screen setup - although there are some special installations, like IMAX xenon/IMAX laser, or Dolby Cinema. But as long as they are not branded like this, they are usually 'just' 2 ordinary projectors aimed at the same screen to increase brightness. Some are 2k, some are 4k, but that doesn't matter much as far as your DCP goes.

Wether your content is able to 'resolve' nicely on a larger screen, you need to test that. Some people question 2k for really big screens, but, it is still common to publish 'good enough' 2k main stream DCPs even for the largest screens.

If, for some reason, your source footage is well below 2k resolution, it may become more obvious on a large screen.

But, as I said, technically, there is nothing special, so, just create a DCP (or take one of your existing DCPs) and test it there.

- Carsten
athanic

Post by athanic »

thank you very much sir Carsten for the reply...
athanic

Post by athanic »

Carsten wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm There is nothing too specific about a generic Large Format 2 screen setup - although there are some special installations, like IMAX xenon/IMAX laser, or Dolby Cinema. But as long as they are not branded like this, they are usually 'just' 2 ordinary projectors aimed at the same screen to increase brightness. Some are 2k, some are 4k, but that doesn't matter much as far as your DCP goes.

Wether your content is able to 'resolve' nicely on a larger screen, you need to test that. Some people question 2k for really big screens, but, it is still common to publish 'good enough' 2k main stream DCPs even for the largest screens.

If, for some reason, your source footage is well below 2k resolution, it may become more obvious on a large screen.

But, as I said, technically, there is nothing special, so, just create a DCP (or take one of your existing DCPs) and test it there.

- Carsten
We tried testing dcp that we used in our previous screening in a single projector cinema but this time in 2 projector cinema didnt play ithas an error saying "

Error.
CPL.AnimalKingdom_FTR_178_51_2K_20150712_IOP.
KDM:6b8fc016-4aa0-4a34-a743-467814636900
Reason:KDM'Trusted Device List'checks failed.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

As I said:

'As long as they are unencrypted, I wouldn't see a reason why they shouldn't play. Even encrypted, they may work, but you have to test.'

Do you need to play encrypted content there?

There are different ways to do dual projector with encrypted content, and some do not work with DOM's KDM formulations. I'm sure Carl would like to hear about the specific setup.

Try to find out what equipment is used there. You may also try the different KDM formulations, and also vary Interop vs. SMPTE packaging.

You could also ask the cinema operator to forward you one of the KDM emails of titles that played successfully there. I am sure Carl would love to see them to find out wether DOM can support this method.

- Carsten
athanic

Post by athanic »

Thanks sir carsten..

Yeah we need to play encrypted content in that cinema. I read in a filming forum that maybe kdm should generated in multitransitional 1 and we and DOM only have dci- any, dci and modified transsitional 1 options.

Thanks again.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I think the closest you will get in DoM at the moment is to add the "main" projector's certificate to the screen (in KDM creator) and then add the slave projector's certificate to the "other trusted devices" box in the same dialogue, then use DCI Specific. This will make a KDM which specifies the certificates of both projectors.

We have tested it a bit with a 2-projector Dolby setup and it's been a bit hit and miss but it would be interesting to hear how you get on if you try it.

As Carsten says a KDM for anything that works on the system would be interesting to see.
athanic

Post by athanic »

thanks carl,

I will try your suggestion....:)