INTEROP Subtitles - Synch Error

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

INTEROP Subtitles - Synch Error

Post by Guddu »

I added a INTEROP Subtitle XML file to my project but in the timeline, I see that the duration of the video is much more than the duration interpreted of the subtitles. Image is attached. The subtitles are not in synch either. I created these using the Subtitle EDIT program and I can confirm that any other player plays the subtitles fine with the video in Synch. What could be the cause of this error?

Additionally, I am not able to change the Width of the Outline effect in the appearance window. It remain greyed out despite selecting the Outline effect (image attached). I am using Version 2.10.2 of DCP-o-matic.

Please help.

Also, will the subtitle on the DCP show below on the Black Bar (as i see it on the screen in DP-o-Matic program) or will it show as per my subtitle XML? I was expecting it to show a little above the Black Bar.

Appreciate any help on this matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cantar4

Re: INTEROP Subtitles - Synch Error

Post by Cantar4 »

waiting for more sunstantial help, you should install the current DoM version 2.10.5.
Carsten

Re: INTEROP Subtitles - Synch Error

Post by Carsten »

First - to change the outline width of subtitles only works if you burn-in the subtitles into the image - the appearance of timed text subtitles does not allow to change outline width. This is a limitation of the DCI/SMPTE standard, not DCP-o-matic. If you burn-in, DOM has more control of the subtitle appearance.

Second, the position of the subtitles, both timed text and burnt-in, can be changed using the horizontal and vertical offset parameters, you can bring the subtitle up from the black bar into the image as far as you want using the vertical offset parameter.

Third - the non-matching lengths of subtitle vs. image/sound could be caused by different frame rate references. There are different ways to correct this.
What is the frame rate of your video file?

Are you sure the subtitle timing has been derrived from exactly the same footage that you imported into DOM? I noticed that sometimes, seemingly identical footage may have different offsets, e.g. due to some seconds more black in the beginning.

- Carsten