Standalone Player not appearing under Ubuntu

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
alextournage

Standalone Player not appearing under Ubuntu

Post by alextournage »

Hi,

I recently installed the latest test release 2.11.17 package on windows and I got five different DOM softwares out of it (D-o-m, player, server, kdm generator, batch converter) it worked all well, though under a slow computer (and with no sound).

I installed the Ubuntu 16.04 64bit package of this same release on my Ubuntu studio machine, which has good CPU. THis time the I only have four softwares. The standalone player is missing.
When I try to open a DCP film I imported recently (external made) with DCP-o-matic, I receive a message "metadata.xml does not exist" and that's all. Only the standalone player goes beyond that point, but I can't find it in this package.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Alex
Carsten

Re: Standalone Player not appearing under Ubuntu

Post by Carsten »

You can't open a DCP using DOM's 'File open' Menu. DOMs File Open Dialog is for DOM project files. You have to create a new project (or open an existing one), then you can Add folder/Add DCP to actually open a DCP. There is no metadata.xml (DOM project file) in a typical DCP directory, hence the error message.

- Carsten
alextournage

Post by alextournage »

Thank you, Carsten, it worked indeed. But what about the standalone player?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Sorry, I have no experience with Linux installations.

- Carsten
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

I also don't find on the programs menu any standalone player with the ubuntu installation (latest -2.11.17- DCPom version, Ubuntu x64 16.4 LTS) either Windows or OS X platform versions have the player available in such a way.

Is there a chance it's just the lack of a menu launcher?
I can (remotely for the time being) see that there is a dcpomatic2_player file in the /usr/bin/ folder though, sized 23.473.504 bytes and executable...
When I 'll be back in front of my desktop I will run it via graphics user interface and get back to you about it.

Edit: So, I can confirm that double clicking the executable launched the application.
I added a luncher among the others on the menu and can easily use the player.
The launcher automatically got the player's icon. (MATE user interface)