2.10.5 - 2.11.x Config file incompatibility

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

2.10.5 - 2.11.x Config file incompatibility

Post by Carsten »

Carl, do you know what causes this? Is there a way to solve this, also for future versions?

- Carsten
Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-02 um 13.33.08.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: 2.10.5 - 2.11.x Config file incompatibility

Post by carl »

I'm struggling to reproduce this: is there a simple recipe?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It happens for me in both windows and OS X versions when downgrading from the 2.11.x test versions back to 2.10.5 stable. Which made 2.11.x testing and return to 2.10.5 for production a bit cumbersome, as config, certificates and cinema database are lost if you do not have a backup. Going from 2.10.5 to any 2.11.x was no problem.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I've never really tried to maintain backwards compatibility for config files... maybe I should...
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think I never experienced that before. I understand it may be difficult to cater for future changes in current versions. The trouble here certainly was that many people were interested in testing export and preview audio, but risked a loss of their config/certs/cinema database when reverting to stable.

Maybe it's okay to trash config, but make the dialog a little bit more explicit, or offer to back-up the existing config files before they are trashed?

Yes, of course, program config itself is not so important, and whoever is actually dealing with certs and cinema database really should have backups. Still...

The Mac is a bit special, as I can have many different versions in folders and switching quickly, but all using the same config files. In Windows and Linux, you need to uninstall/reinstall, which might keep people from version hopping. I remember DVD-o-matic, DCP-o-matic, and DCP-omatic2 having separate config files, so they could/can be operated in parallel. However, for DOM2 release and test versions, there is no such way to work.

- Carsten