Is there a "best" format for source video?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
BruceCRT

Is there a "best" format for source video?

Post by BruceCRT »

I am creating video with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. Is there a "best" format to export the audio and video from Premiere that DCP-O-Matic likes to minimize conversion time and maximize quality? ...Bruce
carl
Site Admin

Re: Is there a "best" format for source video?

Post by carl »

I'm not sure about what the best format is, but you shouldn't worry about minimising DCP-o-matic conversion time: much more time is taken to encode JPEG2000 than to decode the source file, so it won't make much difference what source format you use.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Bruce - what is your source footage type/origin?

- Carsten
BruceCRT

Post by BruceCRT »

The source can vary. I've used YouTube footage in various resolutions, image sequences from stills, iPhone video, you name it. But Premiere Pro does give me full control over output, so I don't think the input really matters any more. I'm thinking the output format is what matters, doesn't it?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

If your sources are all different sorts of files/codecs, it actually does make a difference. Would be different if e.g. you were working from e.g. camera footage using the same codec all the time.

In general, MP4 is good enough for precompressed general footage. If you are really concerned about quality, use Prores, although it will be overkill in most cases you describe.

- Carsten