Number of threads

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Valencia

Number of threads

Post by Valencia »

Hello, a processor with 2 x 2.66 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 8 Gb 1066 Mhz DDR3 ECC, in OS X 10.8.5
How many Threads to use for encoding on this host?
What should I select preferences in general?
thank you very much
carl
Site Admin

Re: Number of threads

Post by carl »

Hi there,

Generally it should be set to the number of cores on your CPU. If I understand you right you have 2 quad-cores, so I would use 8 threads. DCP-o-matic should work that out for you and fill in the correct value...
sguttag

Post by sguttag »

I hope this isn't a double post but I didn't see it show up after submitting...

I'm trying to figure out how many threads to set on the host computer. It is a quad-core i7 but I have a dual-core iMac on the network. Do I set the thread count to 6 (total number of threads...4 on the i7 and 2 on the iMac) or to 4 (just the count of the i7)?

You mentioned that DCP-O-Matic should set the thread count for me...when I opened up the preferences tab...it was on 8...which seems rather high as that was before I connected the iMac up as a server.

Can one change the thread count mid conversion? If not, can one stop...set it, and then restart from where they were?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I hope this isn't a double post but I didn't see it show up after submitting...
Yes, sorry about that, the settings on this forum software are rather sensitive and require me to approve posts by new-ish users.
I'm trying to figure out how many threads to set on the host computer. It is a quad-core i7 but I have a dual-core iMac on the network. Do I set the thread count to 6 (total number of threads...4 on the i7 and 2 on the iMac) or to 4 (just the count of the i7)?
Just the count of the i7. The network "servers" communicate their own thread counts to the master.
You mentioned that DCP-O-Matic should set the thread count for me...when I opened up the preferences tab...it was on 8...which seems rather high as that was before I connected the iMac up as a server.
I suspect this would be due to the i7's hyperthreading (making it announce to the operating system that it has 8 effective cores)
Can one change the thread count mid conversion? If not, can one stop...set it, and then restart from where they were?
Changes would be ignored until you start a new conversion. If you stop and re-start, DCP-o-matic will start from where you left off (after a bit of time for it to work out what is going on).

Best,
Carl