How Do I Know What Colour Setting To Use?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
ensignrickyto

How Do I Know What Colour Setting To Use?

Post by ensignrickyto »

Hey Guys,

I'm a little confused about what colour settings to use when I'm creating DCPs. Of the three settings (sRGB, sRGB non-linearised or Rec. 709), is there a rule of thumb for what should be used for a given type of content or content source? So far, when I've been converting DVDs and Blurays, I've been leaving it set to sRGB but find that the contrast is a little off on some of the pictures. Would one of the other settings work better?

Thanks
carl
Site Admin

Re: How Do I Know What Colour Setting To Use?

Post by carl »

Hi,
Would one of the other settings work better?
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any reliable rule of thumb, but, yes, by all means try the other settings if you are not sure what colour space the source file is in.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think the only vague rule of thumb is to use rec.709 with sources directly converted from DVD and BluRay, and sRGB from single picture files or video files that have been produced for web applications or run through other sorts of recompression. In general, rec.709 is for video, and sRGB for other types of media.

You may use DCP-o-matics TRIM option to encode a short snippet of a color critical sequence in all three preset transformations and then check it visually.

- Carsten
sguttag

Post by sguttag »

Carsten,

So are you saying that a BluRay (or DVD) that has been converted to an MKV file should use a REC709 rather than sRGB transform. I'm unfamiliar with the particulars of the MKV format to know just what has happened to the image in the transformation to MKV. I am unaware of any direct BluRay to DCP conversion so I have to take your meaning that a "direct" BluRay came through via MKV or like conversion.

-Steve
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, BluRay and DVD are in rec709 natively, and the MKV will transport that through, as there is no re-encoding or transform involved in the ripping process.

- Carsten