7.1 Audio

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mangini

7.1 Audio

Post by mangini »

I have several professionally mastered DCPs in 7.1 audio format that I want to make into Quicktime movies. When I load them into DCP O MATIC, it sees 8 channels of audio in the AUDIO panel but when I Export to any of the three formats available (mp4, ProRes 444 and Pro Res HQ), I lose the one set of surrounds. What am I doing wrong? I know there is 7.1 audio on the master DCP. The grid shows channels 7 and 8 as present.

I imported the DCP into DaVinic Resolve and can see 12 total audio tracks. The first six represent the 5.1 mix, 7,8,9, and 10 have no audio on them, and 11 and 12 have the missing surrounds. Is there a grid where I can make those my channels 7 and 8 when I Export Video to ProRes?
mangini

Re: 7.1 Audio

Post by mangini »

I found the problem thanks to Resolve showing a 12 channel audio layout in the DCP, rather than the 8 channel one I assumed it had to play 7.1. My Side Surrounds lived on channels 11 and 12, not 7 and 8 so I modified my AUDIO grid, as seen in the screen capture below. Odd that channels 7-10 existed and were empty.
7.1 Audio grid.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: 7.1 Audio

Post by Carsten »

The standard audio mapping in DCPs is just so. The first 6 channels are for a standard 5.1 layout, with 5 and 6 being Left Surround and Right Surround. A 5.1 + HI/VI-N DCP will have 8 consecutive channels, 7 and 8 being HI and VI-N. Now, a 7.1 DCP needs 12 channels, with Left Surround Back and Right Surround Back on channels 11 and 12. YES - channels 9 and 10 are ALWAYS left empty. They had been reserved for five screen channel DCPs, but are never used in reality.