Dcp-o-matic Freezing on Verify DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mrwaits

Dcp-o-matic Freezing on Verify DCP

Post by mrwaits »

Hey everyone,

I think I'm having a small issue with DCP-o-Matic.

I always verify the DCP's once I receive them and this is the first time this happens.
The app is freezing near the end (or at the end I can't tell) and before I can get the normal report it's already dead frozen.
I've left it for at least an hour but once it's frozen the only thing I can do is terminate the process.

I believe the first time I tried I was with Version 2.16.79 but I have repeated it with the current version and the same thing happens.

This DCP was sent from a cinema, so they most likely already tested it, and if there wasn't anything wrong during my download process (which I did twice and saved it to two different HDD's just in case) it should be ok.

I'm not really sure if there are any logs that I can access and share with you guys?
Do I need to turn logging on somehow?

I'm taking the DCP to the cinema to have it tested there, so I think I'll be good to go because the DCP's from this source have never failed before.
But if I can help fix this possible bug/issue please just let me know what I should do.

Best, Pedro.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Dcp-o-matic Freezing on Verify DCP

Post by carl »

Hello, are you using mac or Windows?
mrwaits

Post by mrwaits »

So sorry!
Windows 10
I7-9700K
32GB RAM
(not that it matters but) AMD RX 6950 XT

Please let me know if you need more info.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Why did you receive a DCP from a cinema in order to verify it? While certainly, the player shouldn't freeze in general, it is quite possible that something went wrong during the transfer of that DCP to you. There are different ways to do this, and some may introduce errors. Without knowing more, it's hard to say what went wrong.

There are probably ways to save that DCP in case something is broken - especially, since you say the freeze happens towards the end, it may be that the media/asset files are ok - so you could simply try to rewrap them and create a new DCP from them in DCP-o-matic main application.
mrwaits

Post by mrwaits »

Carsten wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am Why did you receive a DCP from a cinema in order to verify it?

I didn't receive it from a cinema to verify it. I verify every DCP I receive as a safeguard before taking it to my screening venue. It came from a cinema which is owned by a distributor, so it came from the entity who produced it but at the same time came from the place where it was screened. To make it simple I wrote that it came from the cinema. If I said it came from the distributor the first logical question would be "did they tested it before sending it to you". I figured mentioned the cinema from the start would make it clear the the DCP is most likely ok from the source's side.
Carsten wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am While certainly, the player shouldn't freeze in general, it is quite possible that something went wrong during the transfer of that DCP to you. There are different ways to do this, and some may introduce errors. Without knowing more, it's hard to say what went wrong.

I have experienced error in transfers where I get an error which is something like mismatch CPL vs PKL.
This is the first time and I don't think that's it. Even missing files should be pointed out in the report and not make the app freeze.
Carsten wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am There are probably ways to save that DCP in case something is broken - especially, since you say the freeze happens towards the end, it may be that the media/asset files are ok - so you could simply try to rewrap them and create a new DCP from them in DCP-o-matic main application.

Could you please share some more info on the rewrap procedure?

The reason I reached out was because I thought some sort of log could be kept that would say what the error is exactly and in case its an app bug help you fix it, or if it's a DCP problem be helpful in correcting the way DCP-o-Matic handles it.

Best regards, Pedro.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It would be good to try to debug this, if you have the time. Perhaps you could install this build and then
  • load the player
  • make sure a log file is configured in the main setup tab
  • tick "Debug: verify" in the advanced tab
  • run the verify that freezes
  • send the log file from the second step to carl@dcpomatic.com
Thank you!