Convert Un-Encrypted DCP to an Encrypted one and with VF

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

Convert Un-Encrypted DCP to an Encrypted one and with VF

Post by Guddu »

I have a DCP which is "not" encrypted. This DCP has 4 reels.

This DCP has 3 CPLs out of which 2 are of interest (subtitled and dubbed version of the feature).

I need to convert this DCP to a encrypted one.

I am aware that I can select the CPLs one by one and generate the encrypted DCP but that will generate 2 independent DCPs.

What I was trying to achieve is to generate one OV version and later a VF for the dubbed version.

Can this be done in DOM? I am confused as to how to go about achieving this.

Kindly guide.
Carsten

Re: Convert Un-Encrypted DCP to an Encrypted one and with VF

Post by Carsten »

You need to generate the encrypted OV first, then create the encrypted VF based on the encrypted OV.
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Dear Carsten,

I think I can generate the OV first. It would be the subtitled version without burning the subtitles.

What I am not sure about is to how to use that generated encrypted OV and use the audio track from the dubbed version?

Can I load two DCPs at the same time. Which video will be used in that case?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You should be able to load two DCPs, then in one right-click, go to "Advanced settings..." and choose "Ignore this content's video..."
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You could either use the VF as an additional DCP and ignore it's video, als Carl says. Or you could load the encrypted OV and add the audio MXFs from the dubbed version as files. There are different ways how to do this, depends a bit on how the existing DCPs are organised (e.g. reel with heads/tails).

Throwing together an OV and a VF in one project incl. subtitles and VF using only it's audio sounds a bit demanding, but SHOULD work.

- Carsten
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

I tried by adding mxf files but I get this error after a few seconds of playback (preview)

An exception occurred: Programming error at ../src/lib/font_id_allocator.cc:118

This is with version 2.16.70

May be it is trying to show the subtitles and that's why this font related error shows up.

The same error happens if I add the second DCP (OV Non-Encrypted) instead of individual mxf files.

[Update] : The encrypted DCP was generated on a server using 2.11.34. This encrypted DCP plays fine in DOM player on 2.11.34 (just does not show subtitles) but when I play it in DOM player (version 2.16.70) it throws that same error in font id allocator.

An exception occurred: Programming error at ../src/lib/font_id_allocator.cc:118
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess this was a bug in earlier versions of DCP-o-matic. Now, probably Carl knows about the Font-ID fixes better and may be able to fix it in the current version. I still suggest you first install the very latest version and try it again.

Now - a possible workaround is to create a new DCP from the components of the old DCP. Like an intermediate DCP. For that, you create a new project, add video MXF, audio MXF and subtitle XML from the old DCP individually as files, tick all necessary boxes (e.g. use subtitles(, and create a new DCP. This could already be encrypted, or, again, non-encrypted. So you have a better starting point.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

There were various fixes to the FontID stuff since 2.16.70 - please could you just try the current stable?

https://dcpomatic.com/download
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

I need to make a huge jump from 2.11.34 to the current stable. Apart from saving the certificate etc anything else I should be careful about?
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

I hereby confirm that with the latest stable version (2.16.89) this error with the font id allocator is resolved.