naming of DCP VF

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
LJAGB

naming of DCP VF

Post by LJAGB »

Hello,

I've created a DCP VF to add subtitles to a DCP I was sent.
It works fine on DCP-o-matic player but I haven't had the chance to test it in a cinema yet.

I have a question about the naming of that DCP: does it need to match exactly the name of the DCP OV for it to work?
Some DCP OV are wrongly named (typically, FTR instead of SHR, or no language specified...).

I don't know if I should respect the title of the OV, or just name my DCP VF as I usually would, with the right information.

Thank you very much for your help,

-L
carl
Site Admin

Re: naming of DCP VF

Post by carl »

The name shouldn't matter at all, so call it what you like.
LJAGB

Post by LJAGB »

Brilliant, thanks Carl
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

A side-note on that:
In regards to the validity of the DCP and operability, it's fine to give the proper name to the VF file. And that is commendable. There are a lot of mis-named DCPs out there, leaving people in the dark about languages, sound, image, etc.
Though... the operator that needs to ingest the OV first and then the VF, should somehow be aware of what OV this VF is intended for. If the names are not self evident, there should better be some other form of indication. (A sticker on a hard drive or CRU, a READ_ME.txt file on the download package, a leaflet that accompanies the disc or an e-mail that clarifies things.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That is true. I would always stick with the original name as much as possible - even if it hurts.
LJAGB

Post by LJAGB »

Hi all,

Thank you for your input, I agree that it has to be clear for everyone.
In this precise case, I'm going to work closely with the projection team, so they'll have all the information they need.

Thanks again for the help!

-L