DOM DCPs are not centered on my screen

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
JonasBFF

DOM DCPs are not centered on my screen

Post by JonasBFF »

Hi!
I have a strange problem where the DCPs I make in DOM are not played centered on my output screen, but when I play them in the DOM-player they look good. Aha, there is a problem with my screen you might think, and perhaps that is the case. But the strange thing, to me anyway, is that the DCPs I have tried from other distributers all look fine. So there must be something that I or the DOM does different that makes the output look strange for me. I would very much appreciate if anybody have a solution! I am a beginner at making DCPs and hav searched the forum but didn't find anything that solved my problem.

My test setup
DSV J2->SDI->HDVI-20d->DVI-HDMI-> Samsung computer screen with 4k resolution.

I haven't got the possibility to test in a theater right now.
carl
Site Admin

Re: DOM DCPs are not centered on my screen

Post by carl »

What ratio/resolution are the DCPs you made in DoM?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That's a very unusual setup to check your DCPs with. Which is probably the cause for your issues.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

JonasBFF wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:34 pm [...] But the strange thing, to me anyway, is that the DCPs I have tried from other distributers all look fine. So there must be something that I or the DOM does different that makes the output look strange for me.[...]
What you describe can be checked by checking as few steps of the procedure as possible.

1)The DCPs from other distributors, you mention, do you check them on the same setup? (Framerate the same, monitor on same preset as well.)
If yes, then the issue is probably not the timing on the HD-SDI to DVI-D.
2) Do you have any test patterns from them? Do they check centered? (Not cropped, or cropped equally?)
If yes, then it's probably not the Doremi player.
3) If you check the DCPs from the other distributors on DCP-o-matic Player, do they look O.K.? What if you check the DCPs you make on the DCP-o-matic Player?
If they are the same, then you need to let us know, how do you figure out the DCPs you make are not centered. It would worth your while to make a test pattern yourself, that would mark the center and the distance from the edge of picture.
If the foreign DCPs and yours do not look the same on DCP-o-matic Player, then the DCPs you make have something extraordinary.

Instead of letting us guess what you do, it would save much time and effort if you filled us in. We don't know you, your setup, the settings you use or if what you consider centered on other DCPs is actually that. You need to let us know and you need to use test patterns for such tests. That's their whole point.