Query - Dolby 7.1, DBOX etc

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

Query - Dolby 7.1, DBOX etc

Post by Guddu »

Good Day. I have a question to work with DOM in the following scenario.

I have the OV 5.1 DCP and its DKDM. I also have a VF (Dolby 7.1) with its DKDM.

I have the Subtitles and Dubbing (5.1) Track for the local language.

I know that i can generate a 5.1 SUB VF and 5.1 DOB VF using the OV.

With the material I have
1. Can i work with the Dolby 7.1 VF to create the corresponding SUB and DUB VFs for Dolby 7.1? Or do i need a 7.1 Dolby DUB mandatorily?
2. Given the DBOX Motion Code Wav files, can i create the corresponding SUB and DUB VFs for DBOX?

I am a bit confused with the work flow. Kindly guide.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: Query - Dolby 7.1, DBOX etc

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Guddu wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 1:48 pm [...]
to create the corresponding SUB and DUB VFs for Dolby 7.1?
[...]
If you have the 5.1 DUB (that DOB got me confused for a moment), how are you planning to upgrade it to 7.1?

You mean to export the extra audio channels, add them to the 6 ones from "your" 5.1 and then produce a 7.1 version file?
It's some job, and most probably will work, but we can not say for sure if there is any dubbed info on the extra two channels, you yourself can only check that and then implement.

On the other hand, if you mean that you want to make a VF that will change only audio channels 1-6, but not the rest of the two (I can write 7 and 8, but that is not exactly how they are numbered), you can't. You can not create a partial VF for half the audio channels or half the subtitles' reels and not include on your VF the rest of them that are meant to be there.
The VF package needs to include the entire subtitles' content. Same with audio (and therefore DBOX data).

If you choose to incorporate that part to your VF package from the OV (or previous VF) that you have unrestrained access to, that is up to you.
Most of the times, the M&E files on dubs are the same for surround. Key word here: "most". So, being the diligent guy that you are, you would check content and loudness.