can't hear voices in DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
niko

can't hear voices in DCP

Post by niko »

hi everyone! have never posted on here, because usually my questions have already been answered in the forum, but i haven't seen this one come by.

the issue; i have a ripped bluray mkv file that needs to be made into a DCP. have done this a million times and never really encountered problems. my first attempts failed because the audio didn't sync, but this was helped once i downloaded the newest test version (2.17.21). hopeful, i made the DCP but now noticed that the voices are barely audible. the film is the blues brothers, so there's a lot of scenes with singing, and you can hear all the music except the lead singers voice. dialogue is audible, although barely, but it's especially an issue during all the songs. it sounds as if the amplifier for the center channel is off (this is not the case, when i look at the film in dcp player it's the same issue). when i open the mkv file in VLC, the audio is fine.

unfortunately the DCP has to be shown tomorrow afternoon, so i don't have a lot of time for trial and error, especially because it takes quite a long time to make the DCP because the film is long.

any solutions? thanks a lot in advance
Carsten

Re: can't hear voices in DCP

Post by Carsten »

Recreating a new audio version goes very fast, as DCP-o-matic does not need to recompress the video. For any changes, reopen the existing project and change only audio settings. Hard so say what happens here. You may also open the audio MXF in VLC and listen to it. it it sound like the MKV, you should be fine. If not, you may have mapped the wrong audio channels into your DCP.

You should install Audacity with the FFMPEG addon, and then load the audio MXF into it, then create a screen shot of the multichannel audio waveform. It may give us a hint what went wrong.