Creating KDM for Barco ICMP-X SP2K-15S

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
EncoreMedia

Creating KDM for Barco ICMP-X SP2K-15S

Post by EncoreMedia »

The Theater that will be airing this film sent me a zip file that contains 4 x *.pem files. Do I need to import one of these files somewhere in DCP-Omatic v2.16.95 to supply them with a KEY for them to play this film? I am new to this and can desperately use some help.

Does it need a certificate for them to play on "Screen1" and another for me to test on my PC inside DCP Player to test with?
Here is an example of the 4 files sent from Cinema:

- Barco-ICMP.XXXXXXXXXX_chain.pem: full certificate chain for the Barco ICMP module with serial number XXXXXXXXXX.
The leaf certificate is the SM/PR identity certificate.
Each certificate is DER encoded.

- Barco-ICMP.XXXXXXXXXX_cert.pem: leaf certificate for the Barco ICMP module with serial number XXXXXXXXXX.
The certificate is the SM/PR identity certificate.
The certificate is DER encoded.

- Barco-ICMP-ROOT_cert.pem: Barco CA Root certificate (self-signed).
PKI Root of Trust for the Barco ICMP project.

- Barco-ICMP-CA.XX._cert.pem: Barco CA signing certificates (non self-signed).
Barco-ICMP-CA.01 is signed by Barco-ICMP-ROOT.
Barco-ICMP-CA.02 is signed by Barco-ICMP-CA.01.
Barco-ICMP.XXXXXXXXXX_cert is signed by Barco-ICMP-CA.NN.

Thanks and anxiously awaiting reply!
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: Creating KDM for Barco ICMP-X SP2K-15S

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

You need to import on KDM Creator the "Barco-ICMP.XXXXXXXXXX_cert.pem: leaf certificate for the Barco ICMP module with serial number XXXXXXXXXX" by creating a cinema->screen, and inserting it. Then, the procedure is mostly straight forward to fill the info and create a Modified Transitional I KDM.

The leaf certificate of your DCP-o-matic installation can be exported from preferences.

You should have had a DKDM exported from the project of the encrypted DCP.

The manual of the program helps a lot more than what I wrote on "how to". Have a look.
EncoreMedia

Post by EncoreMedia »

Thanks! I think I figured out part of the problem. I had to create a DKDM DCP-omatic key to be able to play it back from my CPU. Was hoping I could test the Key I created for the Cinema (in Bulgaria) to make sure it worked before I uploaded but will send them a short test of the feature!

Thanks again and all the best-

Scott
EncoreMedia

Post by EncoreMedia »

Thanks for your swift and kind reply! I did see in your reply below "You should have had a DKDM exported from the project of the encrypted DCP", If DCP-o-matic does automatically write this when encrypted is select and the DCP is written, where does it save this Key to play back locally on my computer? I had previously written a short test for the theatre and manually created a DKDM Key so I could play it back locally in the DCP-o-matic player on my PC and that worked... Am I missing something? Very possible being a novice at writing these Keys!

Thanks and all the best-

Scott
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

My take on that is that once the DCP is made, the addition of the DKDM should be added on KDM Generator (automatically).
But that is me. When I suggested that there shouldn't be a KDM demand for DCPs of which the DKDM is already there, the respond was that if it's automatic, then people will forget that a KDM is necessary.

Regardless of my opinions and "should"s and whining, though, you need to export the DKDM from the project of the encrypted DCP, after it is created.
(Menu>Jobs>Make DKDM for DCP-o-matic...)
Then, add it to the list of DKDMs on KDM Generator.
After that, you can either use the DKDM for the player or make another KDM for the player and the cinema/screen you intend to.

KDMs are specific for DCP versions (CPLs) and servers. Have a look at the manual of the site, on "Encryption Overview". It helps.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Scott - you create the encrypted DCP (or reopen the project in which you created the encrypted DCP). Then choose 'Make DKDM for DCP-o-matic...'. Then under Output, choose 'Write to:' and save the KDM to a file (e.g. your current DCP-o-matic project directory).
This will create a (D)KDM targeted at your DCP-o-matic installation. This will only work on the computer that you used to create this DCP.

You then start DCP-o-matic player, load the encrypted DCP. It will then say 'Needs KDM' at the bottom. You then choose 'Add KDM...' from the File menu in player, and load the KDM from the directory you saved it to.

This is basically the same procedure as will have to take place on the remote projector. You ingest the encrypted DCP, you assign a KDM targeted towards that projector.

KDM and DKDM are identical on the file level. The difference is just the intention for what to use them. A KDM is used to play an encrypted DCP, a DKDM is used to modify, remaster, change an encrypted DCP, or to create more KDMs towards cinema projection systems.

- Carsten