Encode Server on Macs

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Encode Server on Macs

Post by Carsten »

The thread is indeed outdated, and in the meantime, I had no problem to use the encode server on the Mac. I did not try to fire it up automatically at boot time or with a user login, though. It should not be a big problem to do so, I could think of various methods.

I think Carl still has a nice OS X GUI version of the encode server on his to-do-list.

Until then, start terminal.app, and do:
cd /Applications/DCP-o-matic.app/Contents/MacOS <return>
./dcpomatic_server_cli <return>

I would think you could also use Automator to make a startup-GUI for the CLI as well.

- Carsten
ensignrickyto

Post by ensignrickyto »

Thanks Carsten. I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
Greg
Michel

Post by Michel »

If you don' like to use the terminal there is another way: go to the applicationsfolder and make a right click on DCP-o-matic. Click on "show package content", then open in "contents" the folder "MacOS". Doubleclick on "dcpomatic_server_cli", the termialwindow will open and the server starts. Now you have to allow incoming network connections.

That worked for me with all versions. Of course you have to keep in mind that all connected machines have the same version installed.

And I use often a chain of Mac, Windows and Linux machines together. Does not matter which is master and which is client.

Hope this will help

Michel
Stephen Furley

Post by Stephen Furley »

If you select DCP-o-Matic in the Finder and right-click on it then select 'Show package contents' you will see a 'Contents' folder, and within that a 'Mac OS' folder. Inside that you will find the server.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Stephen - it may be you are writing this because you are still using an outdated version of DCP-o-matic - but there is a 'normal' OS X app/GUI version of the encoding server available for quite a while now. For other reasons, it is even a separate download now/currently:

http://dcpomatic.com/download

http://dcpomatic.com/test-download

You should, however, always try to keep Master GUI and Encoding server on the same version. There is some granted compatibility between close version numbers, and Carl tries to catch incompatibilities by issuing warnings where compatibility is broken, but it is still advisable to always update your encoding servers with your other DOM apps.

- Carsten