How to enable sub-titles?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
browand

How to enable sub-titles?

Post by browand »

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am having an issue with sub titles. If I create a short PSA or trailer to show before a feature with sub-titles, the sub-titles will not show. If I remove the dcp-o-matic trailer from my playlist the sub-titles work just fine. Is there a way to enable sub-titles? The sub-title tab is grayed out. I tried to create an .srt file using Subtitle Edit and this opens the sub-title tab. But still the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Carsten

Re: How to enable sub-titles?

Post by Carsten »

You mean, if you place a short trailer with subtitles that you created yourself with DCP-o-matic in front of a subtitled main feature, the main feature subtitles will not appear, but will if you simply remove that leading trailer? I have heard such stories (not related to DCP-o-matic ) in the past, the subtitle engines of some projectors can be whacky. What type of server and projector do you use, and are you sure wether they are running on current software?

For now, the only workaround I can suggest is to create that DCP-o-matic trailer with burnt-in subtitles (use the burn -in function under the subtitle tab). However, it is possible that it is not the timed text subtitles of that trailer creating the problem, but other aspects, like a different framerate (e.g. 25fps trailer followed by a 24fps feature), or mixed wrapping (interop dcp following smpte dcp). I have seen such server/projector behaviour being mentioned e.g. In some Dolby server software release notes.

- Carsten
Eriksson

Post by Eriksson »

I created a SMPTE trailer with subtitles. If followed by a feature with interop subtitles in a playlist there was no subtitles at all. Not on the trailer, not on the feature, nada.
Hard reboot, burn the subtitles into the trailer and I was good to go (did a test run before the show).
Dolby DSS/Cat862/Christie CP2210, latest versions.
DoM version? Some test versions before the current.
/M.E.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Weird. This is from an earlier Dolby software release notes, 4.8.x I think:

---
Fixed an issue where subtitles did not appear for shows with a mixture of SMPTE and Interop content when the projector was running older Texas InstrumentsTM (TI) firmware.
---

The conditions perfectly apply to your setup NOT, but...

Guess there are few trailers around which actually use subtitles, but they sure exist, and it certainly will hurt festivals.

- Carsten