Aspect ratio handling and manipulating

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

Aspect ratio handling and manipulating

Post by rtX »

If anyone can help with the following, I'd be grateful:

I have source material in the form of a ProRes 444 file. The ratio detected by dcp-o-matic is 1.78:1. This may be correct, but within that picture space the actual film is 2.35:1, so there are black bars top and bottom within the ProRes 444 source. I want to extract the 2.35:1 image from the 1.78 source and produce a DCP that has the correct aspect ratio denoted for the film (2.35:1), that is lose the black bars top and bottom.

To achieve this, I believe, based upon what I read in the manual, that I have to pay attention to the "Scale to" setting on the "Video" tab on the "Content" tab (setting it to "Scope"?), and also maybe the "Container Type" setting on the "DCP" tab (not sure about this last bit). I think I should also be looking at using the "Top crop" and "Bottom crop" settings (presumably cropping 131 from both top and bottom, assuming 1080 pixel resolution height of original image including black bars)? Is anyone able to advise whether this sounds correct to achieve what I'm aiming for?

TIA
Carsten

Re: Aspect ratio handling and manipulating

Post by Carsten »

First crop top and bottom, then scale to scope, and use scope container. This is the standard way to convert letterboxed scope in 1080p source files.

- Carsten