Give the MXF a specific Name - is that possible?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
alexanderzech

Give the MXF a specific Name - is that possible?

Post by alexanderzech »

I need help! Is it possible to give the -mxf Files a specific name? if yes please tell me how! Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Give the MXF a specific Name - is that possible?

Post by carl »

You can change parts of the name, but not set the whole thing. Why do you need to do that?
alexanderzech

Post by alexanderzech »

The cinema told me that the name of the .mxf should be the same as the folder around...
How can i change parts of the name?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

In the "Advanced" tab of preferences you can specify the format of the filenames for metadata and assets, but you can't get rid of the unique ID at the moment.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

A typical cinema will never get to see the name of these files. I don't know any server that shows asset file names. Yeah, except Doremis during ingest.
macuser

Post by macuser »

Hello everybody,

that is a typical question that only people ask that are not familiar with the guidelines and rules in the environment of DCP and cinemas.

When I started with DCP's - around 2010 - I had similar questions but only to myself. My tip to the people with such questions: Go and work as an operator in a cinema and you will understand. The architecture of the file handling within a DCP server is well thought out and works perfect since the beginning!

I don't think its a good idea to change that at all!

Kind regards
Max
alexanderzech

Post by alexanderzech »

Thx Carl! I will try that.

@Cartsten and Max: The cinema uses Doremi...
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Even if you may see some asset names during ingest on Doremis when switching over to ingest monitor - they are irrelevant. I am sure they don't understand this issue properly. The folder containing the DCP, and the CPL name (usually identical) is the name that is relevant and that is needed in order to work with the DCP on the server - not the CPL or MXF filename.

Will they ask Disney or Universal to please rename their DCP asset files as well? How likely would it be that they follow that suggestion?

Admittedly, it would be useful to add the CPL name to the CPL filename in addition to the UID, that is, enable an additional % modifier in advanced prefs, or just do it per default. Didn't we have this on Mantis already?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Carsten

Post by Carsten »

yup

May make sense in cases where a foldername is not immediately visible or if the DCP went trough copy/transfer/unpacking mechanism's that somehow got rid of the folder. In that case, at least one relevant filename would indicate the DCNC name immediately.