Edit subtitles in a VF

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rosanamadalina

Edit subtitles in a VF

Post by rosanamadalina »

Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat odd request, and was wondering if it was possible.
I have a DCP with multiple cpls. Each cpl has different language subtitles, as well as different credits (for example, the english subtitled cpl, has english credits) My issue is that the credits are also translated in the subtitles.
What I'd like to do is edit the subtitles of one of the cpl of said DCP, to remove the ones translating the credits, as I don't need them.

Is there a way to do this, other than choosing the clean cpl and adding an srt file? I tried to "reduce" the duration of the subtitle timeline, but wasn't successful at all.

Any ideas?
Carsten

Re: Edit subtitles in a VF

Post by Carsten »

Can you show us the directory structure of that VF you want to modify?

When you add a full DCP, you do not have access to its individual tracks. However, you can add the subtitle track you want to truncate as an additional subtitle track (and not use the 'integrated' subtitle track of the DCP). Then you can access 'Timing' and trim the subtitle track from the end to edit out the subtitled credits.

I don't know too many details about your DCPs, but the best way to do this would probably be to create a new VF from the OV with the intended subtitle track added, so you can use it as a standard VF to the OV. Wether that's easy depends a bit on the reel structure of the DCPs.
rosanamadalina

Post by rosanamadalina »

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the swift reply.
I can't post the directory structure of that VF, for confidentiality reaons, but I can send it to you privately. What I can say about it, is that it's not a VF folder, outside of the original DCP, but rather a OV DCP with different cpl versions. Let me know where and if I can send the screenshot to you.

My issue is that, to make a VF, I'd have to use the clean DCP. That version, however, has credits in the film's native language, rather than english, which is what I need. I could repackage the DCP using the individual mxf files, as the ending credits are a different mxf file, but I'd like to try and avoid that option.
I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you're suggesting here, but is the solution you suggested still viable in this scenario?

Thank you very much!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The safest (and easiest) thing would be to create a full new OV including the non-subtitled english credits. That needs as much space as the original OV, but I guess that's okay for you. The trouble is, you can not create a VF from a VF, so, if the english credits are part of VF assets, there is no other way to get this to work. The original assets will be rewrapped into a new OV, and you get the option to truncated the subtitles from the end. Wether that will finally work for you depends a little bit on the reel structure of the DCP. But I guess you would always be able to manage it with another intermediate step. But, first let me see the directory structure.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Are you sure that the folder you showed me is actually the full DCP incl. all video? Is this a short, or a full length feature?

This DCP is interop, so all subtitle files are easily accessible.

I can see a few 12GB video files - usually that would hint to some reels, but it may also be that each of these 12GB files is a full version of the movie, each with specific credits and subtitles attached.

Whatever it is - you can still accomplish what you want to do, at least by creating an intermediate DCP. Then add the subtitles, and trim them.

When you open that DCP and select the CPL you want to modify - could you please do that and then go into timeline view and create a screenshot for me?

Are you using the latest version of DCP-o-matic?

- Carsten