Creating OV + VF DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
martinsender

Creating OV + VF DCP

Post by martinsender »

Hi there!
I've just created an OV DCP, and I need to create a VF version for subtitles. The final deliver is a DCP with NO BURN SUBTITLES, so I have to send them separately.

I think I have to create a VF of that OV DCP.
I've tried this by importing the created DCP into the project, turn it on as OV version (inside Video and Audio Settings tab), then import the .srt file to create the VF.
BUT, Dcp O Matic tells me this:
DCP o Matic had to change your settings for referring to DCPs as OV. Please review those settings to make sure they are what you want
And the option for turn it on as OV version is greyed out. Bummer.

So; what should I do? when I tried to create a DCP with NO BURNED SUBTITLES into image, DCP o Matic Player show them anyway... I couldn't turn it off....

Thanks!
Carsten

Re: Creating OV + VF DCP

Post by Carsten »

Which version of DCP-o-matic are you currently using?

- Carsten
martinsender

Post by martinsender »

Hi!
this is happening with 2.16.91 and the previous one...

I've achieved what I wanted already, but I had to do one or three steps more than normal.

But I'm worried about this issue
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, I just tried a simple test using 2.16.91, and did not see any anomalies. I have video and audio in the OV, and just a subtitle MXF in the VF (from an SRT source).

VF works as always. If you use parameters for the OV DCP that are not your DCP-o-matic project defaults, then when creating a new project for the VF, you have to set all DCP parameters to the same values as the OV DCP. The easiest way to do this is to add the OV DCP, then right-click it, and chosse 'Set project DCP settings from this DCP'. This will make sure everything is set the same in both OV and VF.

Other than that possible issue, I don't see what might have gone wrong for you.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Besides all that, you should keep in mind that the DCP-o-Matic Player plays the subtitles, if subtitles are part of a CPL loaded (specific version of a DCP) regardless of them being "burned in"/hardcoded into the image. If you want non-hardcoded subtitles to not show, you ought create a version file to omit them.
Also (regardless of this specific case, that wasn't obvious to me, once upon a time), when a DCP that has multiple CPLs is loaded in the DCP-o-Matic Player, there is a way to choose which CPL/version is showing.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yup. There is a way to not use timed text subtitles in DCP-o-matic main, but the player always shows them, there's no way to switch them off while playing.